Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

off topic

STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,107
I have a water ionizing machine at home. The machine takes the incoming tap water which has an approximate pH of 7, runs the water through the machine and discharges drinking water that is between 8.5 and 9.5. This alkaline water is suppose to have various health benefits. There is a secondary discharge tube that discharges water between 4.5 and 5.5. My question is do i need to be concerned that the 4.5 acidic water that is going down the drain will damage my 1930's cast iron drainage pipes.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Water inozation:

I'd like to know the point. Most in the NE would kill to have water with a PH of 7.0. I am assuming that you have a PH of 7.0 with no TDS, Total Dissolved Solids. So you don't need a softener. Or an acid neutralizer.

So you run your good water through an ionization machine and end up with hard water that should have a softener and end up with a water byproduct that needs to be neutralized. 

I wish I didn't need to use a neutralizer on my well water.

Water with a PH of  4.5 will not improve the life of your cast iron pipes. 7.0 wouldn't do a thing to it.
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    Aside from your need to do so

"Waste" water at that Ph level will eventually harm your cast iron piping.  I do not know the flow rate of the waste water so it is hard to recommend a proper way of neutralizing it effectively.  Its likely very low flow, in that case a mineral substance like limestone contained in a pipe that allows flow in one side and out the other (condensate neutralizer) would suffice....probably, depends on the flow of course. 

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• STEAM DOCTOR
    waste

I would estimate that for every gallon that I take from the drinking spout another 1/2 to 3/4 comes out of the "waste" tube. The "waste" tube discharges directly into the sink. I am not quite sure where I would put a condensate neutralizer. I do have a separate drinking spout on that faucet. Until now I have been running that water from that spout when I run the ionizer just to balance out the acidic waste water. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    No Different then

The condensate from a condensing boiler and yes it will effect the cast iron piping. Could you add a neutralizer similar to one that is used on a condensing boiler?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• realolman
    realolman Member Posts: 513
    first things first

I think more importantly, will it take acidic water and make it neutral?
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    called company

I just got off the phone with the company. The lady who took my call said that there is a difference between acidic water that is acidic because chemicals have been added and water that is acidic without chemicals being added. I asked her if they have done research too back that up and she said "of course". I asked her if she can direct me to anything on line to back up her claim and she said no. I then asked her what the difference is between the ionized acidic water and the boiler condensate with is acidic, no added chemicals and is corrosive and needs to be neutralized. She said she didn't know but she would give my number to one of her higher ups and they will call me back. Bottom line are they pulling mt leg? Thanks
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    pH is pH

and does not care how it got that way.

Unless you mis-understood her, I would measure one of your legs, then the other and compare the measurements.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Typical

Snake oil BS.

Like Brad said, "ph is ph"

If they can't back it up in writing then its a line.

Reminds me of "equivalent R-value" claims from bubble wrap mfgers.
This discussion has been closed.