Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyone Use the Honeywell Prestige Comfort Station T-stat?

Options
FJL
FJL Member Posts: 354
Hi all. I am thinking about installing the Honeywell Prestige Comfort Station t-stat. Here is a link to the Honeywell web site: <a href="http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Thermostats/7-Day-Programmable/Prestige.htm">http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Thermostats/7-Day-Programmable/Prestige.htm</a>

The feature that interests me is the mobile "comfort station" that contains a sensor and control that you can move from room to room to control the t-stat.

I was wondering if anyone has used this yourself or had any experience with it.

I have one-pipe steam.

Thanks.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    wireless control

although, it seems like a plus to be able to control your system from your chair, the most comfortable steam heating systems should need no such constant resetting of temperature.

is there an area in your house which is cooler than the rest? why not investigate the cause of this imbalance, and rectify. what sort of thermostat is in your house now? is it configured for steam? set-backs often use as much fuel in recovering the higher temperature as was saved!

for the price of this thermostat you could buy several large main [not rad] vents, and a good low-pressure gauge to go with them. actually, you may be able to squeak in a vaporstat as well if you install it yourself!--nbc
  • FJL
    edited February 2011
    Options
    For Apt Building

This is for a four-unit apt building. I don't want to move it from room to room. Was just using that idea to describe the feature. I want to put the wireless remote in the coldest part of the coldest apt so everyone gets enough heat and don't want to run a wire through the entire apt.

One reason for the imbalance is the design of the system. The boiler is located at one end of the building, and two of the five risers that feed steam to the building are fed directly from the header. The remote sensor is located in a room that is fed by those two risers and on many days the t-stat is satisfied before steam has had an oppty to fill the risers at the far end of the 50-foot main. I want to put the remote sensor in a room at the far end of the main.

I'm pretty sure we have adequately vented the main (one Hoffman 75 and three Gorton 1s) and the risers (two Gorton 1s on each riser). I live on the second floor and it takes about 3:50 for the steam to hit the last riser after hitting the first. We also have a vaporstat.

Yesterday I was home and happened to timed how long it took for steam to hit each riser after the t-stat called for heat after being off for two hours or so. The times reflect how long it took to hit one riser after hitting the one before it.

T-stat call for heat and boiler turns on

Riser 1 = 5:43m (after boiler turn on)

Riser 2 = 0:40m

Riser 3 = 2:22m

Riser 4 = 0:23m

Riser 5 = 0:26m

We no longer use a setback.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    prestige

are you sure that the remote contains the sensor in that thermostat? i would certainly like to see a wireless thermostat system which either used radio waves or electric wiring, like the old radio shack plug and talk intercoms.  

are those steam arrival times minutes and seconds, or hours and minutes. i wonder what the long delay is for riser i. the gortons and hoffmans you have are pretty light on a long main of 50 feet. i have 3 gorton 2's on each of a similar section of mine, 17 in all on 6 dry returns! my back-pressure during venting is 2 ounces on my gauge, so i do not have to pay the gas company to forcibly evict the air from my system. after i changed from 6 hoffmans, to that plus the 17 gortons, the gas company changed the meter because we were burning a third less gas! your mileage may vary, but if you could get steam into the mains at all the same time, that is less fuel burnt before heating starts.--nbc
  • FJL
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Time In Minutes

Sorry. I guess my post was ambiguous. I fixed it. The time is in minutes. And the 5+ mins for riser 1 is the time between boiler on and steam hitting first riser, the amount of time that the boiler takes to produced steam and get it into the first riser and up to my 2nd floor apt, so it is pretty much irrelevant for determining how fast the steam travels from riser to riser once the boiler has made steam.

I have "Balancing Steam Systems" by Gill and Pajek and I'm pretty sure that my venting is adequate based on their recommendations for venting. I suppose I could always have more venting but my understanding is that you can only vent as fast as the steam travels, right? I mean, you wouldn't put vents on an open pipe, would you?

NB: A bit light is correct. Using the Gill/Pajeck calculations, I have to clear 1.52 cubic feet of air from my 50.5' main, and one Hoffman and 3 Gorton 1s will clear 1.49 CFM at 1oz of pressure.
  • FJL
    Options
    Prestige Remote

Yes, I'm sure the remote contains a sensor. You need to find the operating manual for the remote. It says that you can control the t-stat with the sensor in the remote. Here is what it says:

"Temperature is measured at thermostat or remote control, as you choose. You can move the remote control as needed, so the room you are using maintains a comfortable temperature (see page 6)."
This discussion has been closed.