Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water Booster Tank Leaking

OK, so I'm trapped in this 100+ year old house for the time being with what looks like an old gravity system piped to an ancient oil boiler that might have been an entry in your ugly system thread. 

The system is old and inefficient but generally runs OK so I was hoping to get through this winter and replace it after the heating season.

I'm looking for suggestions on how proceed with this problem.  I have a tfi/everhot WB50 glass lined booster tank that has started to weep. It is fed through a tankless coil on the boiler.  It's 5 year warranty has probably just expired (I'll have to check some documentation on this).

I was hoping to replace this in the spring with an indirect off a new boiler.

If I still have the warranty I would just have it replaced until spring.  If not, I'm wondering about the best alternatives to get this remedied in a timely manner.

Install another zone with an indirect that could be incorporated into the new system? 

Install a temporary electric?

Install a gas heater?  The gas in the house is currently only used for cooking.

Thanks for any thought or suggestions.

Comments

• rlaggren
    rlaggren Member Posts: 160
    Cheapest way...

Do nothing. But that depends on what you mean by "weep". You can't have the place flooded or even a mostly wet floor.

Second cheapest. If the "weep" is at a connection, repair the leak.

Third would be install a standard tank-type water heater; energy source dependent on what you have available at the installation - electric needs 240v electricity, gas needs gas and a proper vent which might be a common vent up the boiler flue. This approach assumes you will "escape" from your old house w/in 3-5 years so you don't want to spend $$ you won't get back and you don't mind living with the old boiler until you go.

Rufus
    disclaimer - I'm a plumber, not a heating pro.
This discussion has been closed.