Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

loosing water

nikos
nikos Member Posts: 16
hello

im loosing around 400 gallons of water in my boiler,steam one pipe system, all returns are above ground,no visible leaks.i thought that the water meter was defective and i replaced it. anyone can help out of what it could be?

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    boiler leak

If that water is being lost to the boiler there are two areas to look at.

The boiler may have a hole above the water line into the combustion chamber. When the boiler is actively making steam check the boiler to see if you have a nice white plume of water vapor coming out.

the boiler may have an above the waterline hole to the exterior pf the boiler which is not always apparent.

In either case to confirm the above, raise the water level to the top of the boiler, or above, and wait a few hours. If there is a leak you will see signs of the leak as the water trickles down.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,929
    Steam Leaks

Yes the boiler could be the problem ... But also check for the normal problems .. You should be able to hear them ... Raise up the thermostat all the way ... Walk around the house and basement and listen for steam leaks , Vent, packings , unions , cracks and pinholes ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• nikos
    nikos Member Posts: 16
    loosing water

i finally figured it out .i openedthe back of the boiler and found two tubes were leaking.thats how i was loosing water.it was going up the chimney. thank you guys
This discussion has been closed.