Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Navian Tankless as Heat Source for Radiant

Options
I have inherited a new 199,000 Tankless Water Heater. It is new and it is free. I have two electric water heaters. Our electric bill is high.

I can replace the electric Domestic Heaters with the Tankless unit. I currently heat the house with a standard electric element inserted into a Brass Tube. See image. (R 40 walls R50 ceiling, Tight Construction and yes I have an HRV.)

Should I keep the Thermatube Electric Element for the radiant heat? Or should I attempt a primary secondary radiant loop off the Navian?

NOTE: The heating load

Not a typical load. The Heat Source is a 4500 watt element or 15,300 BTU's. So heating demand is much less than a standard Boiler.

Comments

• NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    I believe

you'll find that load below the min modulation of that heater.

If you don't want to kill it, you would probably need to at least keep one of the electric tanks as a buffer tank.

And you definitely want a heat exchanger at the very least.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • virtualplumber
    virtualplumber Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Buffer Tank

The navien has a pump built in for circulation. Could I run that through a heat exchanger as a primary pump and then add a secondary pump for the radiant loops?
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    I don't know

if it's just a DHW recirc pump it probably isn't strong enough, but you'd need to know its rating and the pressure drop/flow you're trying to hit.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
This discussion has been closed.