Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator problem

Tone129
Tone129 Member Posts: 4
Help!!!!...have hot water system with cast iron radiators...the problems lies with the radiator in my bedroom. I turn on the heat and all other radiators and pipes get hot except the one in my bedroom. I have to raise the temperature so that the boiler can run longer and eventually it will get hot. I have bled them to death!!!. I'm wasting oil like crazy!!. My boiler is only 6 yrs old. I noticed this problem started after I removed my radiator to replace my floors. I mention this only because prior to that system worked fine. I've had numerous heating companies give me different theories and none have been correct!! I have run out of ideas.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Problems:

Is your system Forced Hot Water or Steam?

If it worked before you removed the radiator and doesn't work after you put it back, you must have moved the radiator and changed something. Otherwise, it would be working. What did you do when you changed it?
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    radiator

is it a water boiler heating system? if so could you possibly put the radiator in backwards and when you try to vent that radiator you can not get all the air out and it is air bound?
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    Sounds like flow

Sounds like it could be flow to me. How long did you have the radiator out? did you cover the open ends of the heat lines so nothing would accidentally fall in one of the lines while work was being done?

Do you have a small child that likes to put things into other things? That might have found an open heat line.

Or maybe the radiator valve is only open partially and restricting the flow. Maybe it is broken and only the handle turns.

Just a couple of ideas.

Eric
  • Tone129
    Radiator problem

Thanks for your help......didn't change anything to the system or radiator......wish I did it would be much easier to identify the problem!!!!!....hot water system
  • Tone129
    Radiator problem

Yes hot water boiler system.......no unfortunately only one way to put back due to pipe layout...thanks for help
  • Tone129
    Radiator problem

Eric...everything you mentioned has crossed my mind and no, yI didn't cover the pipes. I just wished I could get someone to eliminate any other problems and say well their's an obstruction in pipes and/or radiator.I guess that's going to be something I'll do this summer and see. Thanks for your input!!!!
  • LarryC
    LarryC Member Posts: 331
    Teflon tape

Fellow homeowner here.

Many of the plumbing professionals on this site limit the amount of teflon tape they put on threaded pipe connections due to concerns about pices coming off and forming clogs in the systems. 

1)  When you reassembled the system, did you wrap teflon tape all of the way up to the end of the threads?

2)  Does the radiator have one or two isolation valves?

3)  Does the heating system have circulators (pumps)?  If so, how many?

4)  Do you hear whines or rattling like some chunks are bouncing thru the system?

5)  Did you pull chunks out of the piping when you disconnected the radiator?

6)  Can you power purge that zone to remove air bubbles that are after the radiator?

7)  Do you have a functional air removal device on the system?
This discussion has been closed.