Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Multilple Main Vents

Options
Oakvu
Oakvu Member Posts: 26
I have 2 Mains with multiple vents.  On the larger main, I have a menora set up with 2 Gortons and 2 Hoffmans.  The 2 Gortons are on the inside of the T and the Hoffmans on the outside.  On the shorter main, I have an antler set up with 2 Gortons. 

On the menora set up, the 2 inside Gortons get hot and appear to working correctly, but the 2 Hoffmans on the outside of the T do not.  Same issue on the antler set up....the 1st vent is hot, but the 2nd is not.

It's like these extra vents are not working. 

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Vent Pipe Big Enough?

What is the size of the pipe leading from the mains to the vents? 2 Gorton #2 s max out a 1/2 pipe.

- Rod
  • Oakvu
    Options
    Larger than 1/2"

Not sure of the correct method of measurement, but on the the larger main with the 4 vents on a T, the pipe coming out the main is about 1 1/2" in diameter.  The pipe on the 2 vents coming out of the main is smaller but about 1 1/8" in diameter.
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Waterlogged?

Are the outside vents full of water?
  • Oakvu
    Options
    Waterlogged?

I don't think the Gorton #2 is waterlogged, but it's stuck closed.  I can't blow air thru it.  Is there a way to clean these like you can with radiator vents? 

The 1 Hoffman 75 did have some water in it and I was able to get that one working again.  Can't get the other Hoffman 75 off to check it.
  • crash2009
    Options
    Stuck Vents

On the Gorton, if you turn it upside down and blow, no air goes through.  If you tilt your head back and hold the vent exactly right side up, it should allow air to blow through.  Boil the vents that do not work, in vinegar. 

I have heard others suggest, but I have not tried it, to pour a little bit of CLR in the vent and shake it up, let it sit, and shake it up some more.  Rinse thouroughly to remove the CLR. 

As a last resort, give it a wack with the handle of a screwdriver, to dislodge it from its stuck position.

Here is how they look inside.  http://www.gwgillplumbingandheating.com/webapp/GetPage?pid=610
  • Oakvu
    Options
    Gorton Unstuck!

Boiled the Gorton #2 in vinegar/water.  Gave it good whack.  And it works great.  Thanks for your help!

Was wondering how many vents I can use on these mains.  The larger Main has vent piping of 1" and the smaller Main has vent piping of 3/4".

I have 2 Gorton #2's and 2 Hoffman 75's on the larger main.

I have 2 Gorton #2's on the smaller main.

Can I add more vents?   
  • crash2009
    Options
    The theory around here goes like this

Remove whatever is on the 1" pipe.  Install a full-port valve in its place.  Fire up the boiler, and time how long it takes for the steam to get to the open valve.  Install your vents back on the 1" and time it again.  Keep adding Gortons until the vents will vent in the same amount of time as an open 1" pipe.  Ditto for the 3/4"

The formula to just to get in the ballpark for a 2" main is, One Gorton #2 for every 30 feet of pipe.  Then time it and see how much more you need to add.  You may have enough right now.

There is a mathematical way to figure it too but you will need this.  http://www.heatinghelp.com/products/Books/5/146/Balancing-Steam-Systems-Using-a-Vent-Capacity-Chart-by-Gerry-Gill-and-Steve-Pajek
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Vinegar, Water and a Whack

We really wanted you to whack the vent because we all know that is what really did the trick.

The vinegar thing can help.

But The Whack?

That is what powers the Universe.

Nostradamus.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    or this method......

install a good low-pressure gauge, [gaugestore.com 0-2 psi].   as the system starts from cold, and air begins to escape, the correct amount of venting on the mains will show a very low back-pressure of about 2 ounces. when the main vents have closed, then the air is escaping through the radiator vents and the pressure should be a little higher.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.