Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

indirect water heater tanks

Options
585 Member Posts: 4
I am fixing to install an on demand boiler with a indirect water heater, water is relatively hard, in a home that is in a remote area.  I am having issues with the indirect water heater obtaining information on quality and reliability as I don't want to have to make numerous trips for replacements and repairs.  I have already given a quote on an Amtrol Boilermate CH41Z which I believe is plenty big, but this last weekend while i was trying to get more information on this unit and discovered a site with lots of issues with this unit.  We are in the south west and have access to Burnham, Weil McClain, Triangle Tube, and some others But they all say they are the best. Was looking for input on experiences and reliability.  Would like SS. tank and exchanger  but would will condisiter alturnatives.  Would like to stay in same size and price range

Thanks for all input,

Glen

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    You will pay a bit more

but if it means changing it less it is worth the investment to go stainless. I would go triangle tube if you can as they stand behind their warranty well and make the tank for another on your list. If water is truly hard then the removable coil like Buderus has with the replaceable anode rod is another good choice.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    indirect water heater

if you have hard water put a water softener in. or you can install a Aqua Pure Cuno AP430 filter in the cold water line going into the IDWH. This filter will not soften the water but will coat the inside of pipe and the inside of the tank with a food grade chemical that will not let the hardness stick to the pipe or tank. This filter has a 10 GPM flow rate and will need the cartridge replaced 1 to 3 times per year. The AP430 works great on tankless gas water heaters and domestic coil in boilers. The Smart SS indirect water heater from Triangle Tube is a great unit. Limited lifetime warranty on tank. The Weil Mclain Gold is made by Triangle Tube but be careful if you get a quote on a TT Smart 60 or Smart 80 and then on a WM Gold 60 or Gold 80 they are not the same unit. Look at both TT Smart and WM gold on the Internet and you can see the difference.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    CH41Z

Could you please direct me to where you saw issues concerning this tank? It's only been out for a short time and I haven't heard of any. If you are referring to the old WH7Z that was never a tank problem but a coil problem.

When choosing a stainless tank making sure the chlorides maybe more important then the hardness, Hardness can be dealt with chlorides can't.  Areas with higher chlorides in the water tend to eat of tanks at a much higher rate then areas with lower chlorides.

Burnhams tank is a Vaughn (Very nice tank and would be my choice)

Weil's is a Triangle

Peerless is a Super Stor (Heat Transfer Products)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Options

Site is Amtrol, inc complaint.  Thanks for input, Glen
    Options

Site is Amtrol, inc complaint.  Thanks for input, Glen
This discussion has been closed.