Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

TRV to fit in Fin tube case

What would be a good brand/type of TRV to fit inside of Slant Fin case to control a room of fin tube.

Some of the control knob that fit on the top seem large.

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    you would use

one with a remote thermostat control. If the thermostat is in the enclosure it will not be accurate and the people will be cold. Does the system have bypass in the loop if you shut off that piece of baseboard? If you use a trv in a loop with out a plan for bypass you will stop the heat in the whole loop. All TRV's I have seen allow you to choose your controller separate from the valve. .
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    I agree with Charlie

Personally, I like Macon valves. They are a bit more compact than, say the Honeywell Braukman bodies and as Charlie said, they all have remote sensing and remote sensing/actuation for all the reasons he mentioned.

Sometimes you can install the standard head type valve in fin-tube. But you have to measure the cover for where the control head will go and use a Greenlee punch to make a nice hole for the head to protrude. This may be fussy or even a trip-hazard, so it is hard to beat the remote head types. Just protect the capillary tubing from kinking and damage.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Fred Rappuhn
    Fred Rappuhn Member Posts: 107
    remote sensor

Never thought of the remote sensors!!!!!!

Each room of fin tube will be supplied from a manifold.

Or would a TRV on each run of baseboard in each bedroom, on the same zone, be an over kill?
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    I'd go with the manifold and homeruns

As Charlie noted, you can use TRV's on otherwise in-series baseboards by installing a bypass around each one to the next. But that approach is more of a fix to get around an existing problem when you already have the baseboard installed and have the room for the tees and the bypasses.

Personally, parallel homeruns seem more adaptable and less cluttery in the rooms. Just my opinion.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Fred Rappuhn
    Fred Rappuhn Member Posts: 107
    all baseboard is new.

Were are installing new baseboard and making home runs to the manifold.

He have opened  rooms up and have some cold area of the room.

Some CI rads up stairs will be moved downstairs to the living areas and the entire upstairs will be on fin tube base boards.

The 2nd floor (bedrooms & Bathroom) is on 1 zone, home runs off from a manifold.

1st floor another zone all CI rads with TRV's installed, living area/kitchen.

a other zone of fin tube for front porch.

1 zone for the basement.

We are currently running with zone valves and plan on  a new boiler in 1-2 years.

Would like to operate on constant circulation.
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Home run & Grundfos

If the walls are open, imo, home run to the boiler room, and use a Grundfos Alpha in constant head mode.
    :NYplumber:
This discussion has been closed.