Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water boiler-Hot water baseboard

Bob C._2
Bob C._2 Member Posts: 33
standard 3/4 fin-tube slant-fin boiler running at 180 degrees- boiler 17 years old

seem to heat house before- older couple now like to keep house close to 80 doesnt seem to keep up-finns are fairly dirty- what is best way to clean? any suggestions thoughts-boiler seems to be working properly-4 zones zone valves opening and closing-could cast iron sections be partially caked up or something no transferring heat properly- pressure is 15-18 # relief valve and expansion tank are good -please advise thank you

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    They may be

up against higher expectations (80F desired vs. 68, 70, 72F), coupled with what may be lower than design outside temperatures and against what the system can do.

If fins are dirty, a soft brush attachment on a Shop Vac should do it.

On the boiler side, an annual cleaning and combustion test will tell you more than I could. How is their fuel usage compared to prior years?

Also, as houses age, things settle, windows do not close as they once did. Install a new dryer in a new location and forget to close off the old vent... things like that.

My $0.02

Brad
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.