Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which Switching Realy do you like?

MikeyB
MikeyB Member Posts: 696
Which one do you guys like for a Hot Water Loop of a Steam boiler? I remember Steamhead talking about one that he liked do to its ease of wiring, but cannot find that post?. And does anyone prefer to use a DPST Relay along w/a SPST Aquastat, or use an Aquatat Relay such as a L8148E instead? Thanks

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,139
    relays

i usually use a L4006 aqua stat and a standard tao sr501 or Honeywell equivalent .They usually have 2 set of contacts i use the isolated set to wire the aquastat in series with the burner and the other for the circ.the circ realys have a 24 transformer so you can just wire your stat from there and your all set .Besides piping in a full port by pass i usually always install a hi limit aqua stat in series with the circ so when the boiler is steaming you don't over cook your circ even though you should be using a series 100 type pump instead of a 1 piece either way i install it as a pump safety . Plus i think the circ relay and a seperate aquastat is cheaper then the L8148  hope that helps peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 605
    I'm with Clammy

We use the Taco SR501 for hot water zones on steam boilers . The separate NO-NC contacts always come in handy .

An 8148 aquastat / relay could be kinda tricky . The aquastat runs the burner from the B1 terminal ( line voltage )  and TT on the burner is jumpered for the aquastat to work . If you hook up the steam thermostat to TT of the burner , it'll only run when the steam heat calls . I guess you cold use a RIB relay with the aquastat but at that point a single zone relay and single aqaustat start to make more sense .  
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    RIB

They make relays with the Xfrmr on board in single and double pole single and double throw combinations, with LED's..

Quick, clean, easy and cost efficient.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Relay

Thanks guys, the Taco is a nice unit, and I will check out the RIB as well,
This discussion has been closed.