Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

black streaks above baseboards

jj_3
jj_3 Member Posts: 10
I have a client w/ black streaks above all the baseboard radiation  in house. Its a 3yr. old Weil McLain CGA boiler natural gas. Boiler is clean as can be w/ plenty of fresh air in room. Older home which cannot be that air tight. Told her to clean heating elements as good as possible. BB has min. 1" clearance from floor. She swears streaking is has not been there for long. Any other suggestions out there?  

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    Pictures?

Black streaking quite often is room dust entrained in the convective air moving through the heating element. It deposits on the wall especially where there is moisture, just a thin film condensing on the surface. The dust, whatever the composition, adheres.

No idea about the source of the dust, but a leaky home often has plenty. Having done my share of renovations, it still amazes me how much soot, dust and godknowswhat you can find inside a joist cavity. It tells you something about infiltration and how loose original construction can be.

On older buildings especially those which have not been painted in years, you can actually see the ghosting of lath, plaster and studs by this deposition.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,929
    Streaking

With the rising convection and infiltration streaking will accrue with burning candles , dura flame logs , basically burning $#!@ ... With the popularity of candles , look around the room , but good luck explaining to the lady of the home ... They must be addictive :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.