Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Internet Controlled Tstat for Steam heat

Options
Annie
Annie Member Posts: 9
I was looking at the Prophilix models.  Can you suggest any others that can be controlled remotely?  We have replaced Tstats before, would the only difference be the hookup to the Linksys?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited January 2011
    Options
    internet control

what would be the purpose of this remote control? is this a house with only occcasional use [week-ends]? setbacks do not usually result in a savings in fuel cost, unless for several days.--nbc
  • Annie
    Annie Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Internet Controlled Tstat for Steam heat

We plan on moving out of state but renting out the unit.  We have 4 units and the one we are in controls the temp for the other 3 as well.  We would like access to it without having to travel. 
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    thermostat under long distance controll

it is important that any thermostat chosen be "steam adaptable". most people here like the honeywell visionpro, which although not internet capable can be set to use a password, i believe. it can also use a remote sensor, with the main unit under lock and key.

i presume that you want to cut down on the occupants fiddling with the settings. if the system is well maintained, then the lowest cost of operation is had by maintaining a constant temperature. the remote sensor could be in the coldest room, with the control in a basement locked room, with the temperature set to maybe 66 degrees.

you could also search the tekmar site, and see if there is anything there, which is internet, and steam capable.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.