Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water Treatment?

Options
Our building had a new Weil-McClain boiler installed this season and our installer recommended having the water treated and if not the warranty would be voided. The service recommended by the installer offers a yearly plan that includes periodic draining. Is this the norm for boiler maintenance?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    water treatment-required or not?

are there any abnormal conditions associated with your local water supply, such as excessive chlorides?

chemicals are no substitute for properly cleaning the boiler [see "skimming".

why not consult  weil-mcclain on this subject. i prefer no chemicals on my 1,050,000 btu-55 rad system.--nbc
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Exactly!

Nicholas hit it on the head! 

Do you have any specific abnormal water conditions.

What does Weil Mclain require?

You contractor says it will void your warrantee.... whoes warrantee?   his?

Did he give you a separate special warrantee, or is this just BS?
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    Ultra 3 and water treatment.

I do not know what W-M boiler you have. I have an Ultra-3; these have an aluminum heat exchanger. The installation manual I have says no water treatment is needed if your water meets their requirements as specified in theri installation manual. Since then, they have released Marketing Bulletin MB-0913 that specifies a particular water treatment, called Sentinel X-100. The dose depends on the boiler size. They say, "Once added, Sentinel X100 never needs to be replaced unless system water is added or replaced."

I know they want these boilers to run between pH 7 and pH 8.5. I know nothing about any other W-M boiler. I am just a homeowner, not a heating professional.
This discussion has been closed.