Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Phantom Steam Thief

Options
Jeff_44
Jeff_44 Member Posts: 94
I have a one-pipe system that until recently has been running like a top. Now, when the system runs, one (sometimes two) random rads don't get heat (or very little). It's anyone's guess which rad will the the cold one. I have lots of venting on the mains (three gortons and two hoffmans). There are three large rads that are close to the boiler that demand lots of steam so I have their respective vents set low. The EDR load is 287 and the new boiler (six years old) is rated at 283. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    phantom thief

has your pressure changed? you will probably not be able to tell much with the original 0-30 psi, but if you had a good 0-2 psi low pressure gauge, you could get a sign that maybe the pigtail was clogged, and allowing the pressure to shoot up.

when this happens, some air vents, either main or radiator will not allow the air out. prolonged exposure to over-pressure will make them into paperweights.--nbc
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Check the firing rate

Is this a gas or oil burner?  If gas, clock the meter for a full one minute period, during which no other gas appliances are running, and see if you are burning the correct amount of gas. 

Regarding your radiator vents, what type are you using, and what are the settings that you are using?  Are you sure that your main vents are working correctly?
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Jeff_44
    Options
    Thanks

I checked the pig tail and it was clogged - I cleaned it and will see what effect this has.

As far as venting on the mains, things have been working so well that I haven't really kept track of them but I followed Steamhead's advise several years ago - one main as a gorton #2 and the other has two Hoffmann's combined with a Gorton #2. On the radiators, we had maid - o - mist but have been swapping these out with Varivalve adjustable vents.
  • Jeff_44
    Options
    After more checking

I learned that the main with one Gorton got hot/steam with in a couple of minutes from the boiler. The other main (which is about 10 feet longer and has three vents) didn't get hot for about five - seven minutes after the first main got hot. I wonder why this would be so different? AND...this is a gas burning boiler.
  • Steve_175
    Steve_175 Member Posts: 238
    Options
    Check the Mains

to see that they are pitched a bit, level and the condensate is going to slow down that steam. Also check the vents on that slow main. Take them off and see if they are clogged

Your shorter main could have rad vents that are to aggressive. As I have read here vari vents even turned down are quite fast venting.
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    is your boiler sooted?

perhaps during the season, a poorly tuned combustion system lead to a sooted boiler .. perhaps you need the chamber cleaned .. best left to a pro. 
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
This discussion has been closed.