Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

IBC's New Smaller boiler now out SL20-115

SpeyFitter
SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
IBC, based out of Vancouver BC, just came out with a smaller boiler to better compliment their line up recently. It's called the SL20-115 and modulates from 20,000 to 115,000 BTUH  that was certified recently and has a 5.75 to 1 modulation range (again, it was certified).

I saw the unit in person yesterday at the factory and I must say I am extremely impressed. The boiler has a down firing fire tube heat exchanger for a nice low head loss through the heat exchanger much like the Triangle Tube or soon to come out Wall mount Knights. The heat exchanger is constructed out of 439 Ti Stainless Steel like their SL80-399 they bought out in the middle of 2010. The controller is the same as on their other 3 boilers with the ability to control up to 4 pumps (1 primary and 3 secondary) through priority switching.

The cabinet is desinged to be essentialy sealed (sort of like Viessmann Vitodens) where the cabinet acts sort of like a filter for debris to drop to the bottom of the cabinet instead of getting sucked up directly. 

There is one innovation about this boiler that I really feel seperates it from the competition. It's the ability to pipe 2 seperate supply/return tappings off of the heat exchanger out of the cabinet. There are 2 male tappings on the left of the heat exchanger with knockouts on the left side of the cabinet, 2 knockouts on the right side, and 2 knockouts on the bottom from the right side tappings. So you could pipe your indirect off of the left tappings with a pump, your heating off of the right through the right side, or the bottom, or vice versa, if you decided to seperate them like that. Or you can take both off of the same side of the exchanger through the knockouts and just put caps on the other sides tappings. This offers a fairly versatile package me thinks for various requriements in the mechanical room.

This boiler has their standard stainless steel cover with black powder coated frame and is just "slimmer" than their larger boilers essentially.
Class 'A' Gas Fitter - Certified Hydronic Systems Designer - Journeyman Plumber

Comments

• Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Sounds tasty...

I wonder whether it'll be in the same price range as the new Knight. IBC = I Bleed Cash. ;-) Used to think Vitodenses were spendy until I priced one of these beauties...
  • SpeyFitter
    IBC

Well when you look at what you get, IBC does produce a premium boiler, in my opinion. They also have a lot of standard equipment that is often an accessory for some other manufacturers.  I haven't checked into the price point of the new boiler, but the range I suspect it will be in, it is taking direct aim at the Vitodens 100 and 200 models in the same BTUH range, and I suspect it'll be a better value.  My opinion of course.
  • Leo_G
    Leo_G Member Posts: 89
    Scott

My Wholesalers price is still over a g-note more then the vito 100. Though the features of the new IBC are a better package.

Funny thing is their 150 model can modulte to 15K so may still be a better fit for a lot of jobs here on the left coast.
  • SpeyFitter
    Vitodens 100

Leo - to get anywhere near value of the new IBC Boiler out of the Vitodens 100 line up, I'd have to add their power pump module or some kind of relay logic, both of which to varying degrees require parts & labour to install, on top of the COMO OT controller. Oh, and there are a lot of applications on the IBC boiler with it's low head loss exchanger that I could get by with one less pump (as well as less pumping power) than the Vitodens. 

I had the same reservations as yourself about why they would make a smaller boiler that fits within the confines of the 15-150's modulation ratio. However after seeing this new boiler, I can see the niche that it will provide with the fire tube exchanger (less pumping power and/or pumps) and cheaper price, both of which in the grand scheme of things will make it a viable option. I often run into a lot of applications where people are looking for a mod-con but you can tell they have a budget to deal with. So right away I rule out the 15-150 and start thinking Vitodens 100. However that has now changed.
This discussion has been closed.