Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Novan DHW system component

Bruce_10
Bruce_10 Member Posts: 11
A few years back this web site saved my gravity hot water heating system (which is doing fine thank you).

Today, I'm back with another question. My house also has a 30+ year-old Novan Solar DHW system (heat exchanger, not drain down). While doing repairs to the plaster ceiling in the basement a 2x4 struck the brass housing of what I think is a pressure regulator and it cracked at its connection to the pipe. I've attached a picture of the item. It is attached to the heat exchanger potable water outlet. Is this a pressure regulator? Any chance I could find its replacement?

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Thats an automatic air vent...

and it must be rated for the operating pressures and temperatures it is going to see.

If it snapped off where it threads into the bushing, you wil need a screw extractor to get the threaded piece out before it can be replaced. It is brass and is very soft.

There is a chance it could be replaced with a manual vent...

Would need to see a piping diagram of where it is in relationship to pumps, water inlets, water outlets etc.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Bruce_10
    thanks

Thanks, now that I know what to ask for, I think I can get it replaced easily. The unit cracked at the bottom of the "bell" housing at the seam with the brass nut. But I was able to get it off the fitting without a problem. This unit sits at the exit of the solar heat exchanger, to catch air bubbles formed when the exchanger heats the water before it is pumped to the solar holding tank. Pressures are the city water system plus some from the circulation pump (placed at the entry to the solar heat exchanger) but I wouldn't expect them to exceed 50psi. I would expect that temps would be no higher than 160 F or so.
  • Bruce_10
    Problem solved

A trip to Denver's best plumbing supply house, less than $20, some teflon tape from the tool box and problem is solved. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.