Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Alternatives for Cracked Steam Boiler

Options
BeerGuy
BeerGuy Member Posts: 24
Was just informed that my oil fired Burnham V7 has a crack above the water line.  Radiators still heat up, but tons of white smoke out of the chimney.  Literally just had the hot water coil replaced 2 days ago (to the tune of $900) having been told that a leak from the gasket was the main cause.  Have been told I can "nurse" it through the season but that the system needs to be replaced and that the coil that was just put in won't fit any of the newer Burnham models.  Tech wants to replace with Peerless.  A couple of questions.

1.  This is not a new problem.  Was quite likely an issue when we moved in just over a year ago.  Any thoughts on how less efficient the unit is with this crack?  Is it worth replacing now, over the summer, or keep it until the radiators don't heat up?

2. Was told there were no options for a repair.  Is it true that boiler sealent won't work on steam units?

3. Would like to consider a dual fuel replacement (oil/pellet, oil/wood, oil/other).  Does anyone have any experience with these options or any recommendations?

Thanks,

HO in Southern CT

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    When is the key

The crack will waste fuel and it will degrade your chimney especially if it's not lined.

I don't know of a sealant that will help this but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

It is going to need replacing but all things being equal a January replacement will likely not get the same care as one in the spring simply because of all the calls a company is responding to. Finding a good installer and selecting a well supported brand is the most important thing you can do, that matters more than the specific brand.

i don't know what options are available with mixed fuels in a residential boiler but I suspect efficiency would suffer badly if both wood and oil were to be used as fuels. If you want to go that route you might be better off with two separate boilers feeding the system, it will be more expensive but each system would work correctly.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    edited January 2011
    Options
    No mixed fuels

combination oil and wood is a bad idea anyways. No fixing a leak in a steam or oil boiler for extended time. Period. what they sell you will just cause other issues. You have oil get a Megasteam by Burnham if you want efficient. As far as burning wood to make steam I would leave that to the reenactors and their steam engines. Get good installer lined up and check Dan's list for what your installer should know. http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/236/Homeowners/1490/How-to-have-a-boiler-replaced-without-getting-steamed
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.