Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Senior Moment

Ok I eat a little crow here. I have not had oil heat in my own homes ever (always nat gas) Our new home has an oil furnace which is very rare here in SE Wisconsin. Any way I just did not pay attention to the oil level in the tank close enough. The guage showed about 1/6 of a tank and I had scheduled a fill for Tuesday. Last nite I noticed the house getting cold so I went down and found the burner reset flashing geen at less than 2 second intervals. Tried to reset only to determine the damn tank was empty.

I went and got 20 gallons of oil , bled the air out and then tried to reset the burner again. The Becket Honeywell R7184B 1032 primary control will not reset. I tried two different service companies and because the Packers won last night all I got was a friend who was very drunk calling me back and he did not want to come out. The second company (one I used to work for) finally called me back about midnite. Such is oil heat repairs in our area, techs avoid it like the plague.

Anyway with my limited knowledge of oil burners I have pretty much determined that the primary control is shot. Since I can hot wire the burner and get it to run I have to think it is the primary control. I researched the Beckett burner and found a similar number part but it is different looking in a Genysis series.

My question is whether the Genysis will work as a replacement?? I can get the part in Milwaukee this am if it does???  Trust me while I am an admitted challenged oil burner tech the so called service people I called seem worse.

Note: Over 25 years ago I made a living servicing conbination gas/oil burners for large commercial boilers up to 250hp. Now I find myself clueless on a small residential burner because technology has passed me by while I got away from burner servicing.

I even have drifted away from the wall this past year and one half due to the fact that I was the primay plumber for a large food prcessing plant, a project that was recently complete. My last boiler installs were in the fall of 2009 at the food processor owner's home.

Sorry for rambling I have been  up half the nite feeding the fireplace, the wife won't buy the snuggling thing like she did 30 years ago!

Thanks in advance, any advice will be appreciated.

Rich Kontny

Comments

• Jim_47
    Jim_47 Member Posts: 244
    off on reset

Try holding the reset button for about a minute or until the light flashes again.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    If all else fails

If Jim's suggestion doesn't pan out and you can't find one locally, this seller has one left -

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-R7184B1024-Electronic-Primary-timing/dp/B002DGCK70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1295886137&sr=8-1

good luck,

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Beckett to the rescue

Since I posted this morning I got the bright idea to call Beckett technical support. They said exactly the same thing. Hold the bottom (the green light goes out) for at least thirty seconds or when the light comes back on let go and Eureka it fired.

The Beckett people were very helpful as they walked me through the procedure. Now I have to remember that when it is cold the oil tank gets empty quicker. Spoiled by that gas line providing a constant supply .

Thanks for the help I hope to be a little more active on the Wall again as I hav more time next o the computer.

My wife I am sure will remind me. Yesterday morning it was 10 below. This morning we had 12. I was a little nervous but all turned out well.

Thanks for the help.

Rich

h2omaster
This discussion has been closed.