Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water pressure

Options
Smiley
Smiley Member Posts: 6
Hopefully this is the right place for this question. I'm looking at

installing a Simar in line booster pump on my existing well water

system. I'm an hvac contractor but never had to do anything with water

pressure except PRV's on boilers. Anyone had any experience with these?

good, bad indifferent?  Thanks.

Comments

• World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Booster

Never worked with the ready made ones, but have built booster system with good results. Your using a pump to raise the pressure so you should go into an expansion tank. Can you pressure switch be adjusted on your well pump to get the pressure you need. I have built them because of the rise above the supply. One on a mountain top the water supply pressure entering the line at 160 psi and only tricked out at the top. The other in a Chateau where the water stopped running on the top floor if someone opened a faucet below.

Most of the well system I have been able to get better pressure by adjusting the pressure switch.

How high is your pump lifting the water?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Water Pressure:

You have more issues than a water booster system.

What kind of a well pump do you have?

What kind of well do you have? Is it a 4" casing with a submersible pump with the pump in the casing or is it an ejector pump with the pump on the ground with line(s) going down the well.

How far to water.

How many GPM's does the well produce.

It's important because it determines whether you can use a booster pump or just need a different pump. Actually, you don't need a booster pump.

Give me the information and I will tell you what you can do. 
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I have used booster pumps

but only on low pressure city supplies. With a well you need to upgrade your main pump.

I installed a constant pressure pump in my home when I installed the geothermal system. Its ok but I no longer would choose that path. Cycle stop valves work just as good and have some other benefits. If you want some good information on this subject go here... www.cyclestopvalves.com
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    pressure

How old is you well pump. You could look at using a Goulds Pumps BF system available in 230V takes 230V single phase and turns it into 230V three phase. the pump and motor will give you a constant pressure set it for 50 PSi or 60 PSI and it will stay there. The more water you use the faster the motor runs to keep pressure constant. Now available in 230V single phase for 2 wire and 3 wire motors.

Can also look at using a Goulds Pumps Aquaboost II system. Jet pump type unit takes 230V single phase turns it to 230V three phase and set pressure at 50 PSI or 60 PSI and it keeps the pressure constant. If you have a well that does not produce enough water you would need to use the Auqaboost II system with a 300 gallon storage tank as a open vessel. Aquaboost II pumps are great to use on city water systems or private water systems where incoming water pressure is low.

You could also look at using a Grundfos MQ booster pump. This pump will boost pressure but it is not a constant pressure pump.

Questions email me. Thanks Bob Eck
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Options
    Variables

You have to check your pump output by using a timing device and simply a 5gallon pail (time or one minute) if this is 5 or more than you have to make sure volume is not the problem (size of pressure tank,piping size etc) if piping and gpm are ok than you can use a 40-60 cycle. on you pressure switch. (this is most common) Remember that pressure is not volume. Undersized piping often is the culprit for lack of water or pressure drop when other fixtures are turned on.

I have put in pressure volume tanks at the end of long runs to create a reserve if you will since the piping can't keep up with the load demand. If the incoming pressure is low and can't be adjusted up I have built pressure booster systems as mentioned by others.

Constant pressure systems require enough well capacity, a three wire pump and a rather expensive controller. The main question is always cost versus what you are trying to accomplish.

Rich Kontny (h2omaster)
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Options
    On the downside

Constant pressure pumps or VFD(VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE) pumps will not operate on a standard type generator.  I wish I would have been told this before I purchased.  People who have invested in these automatic generac units are usually quite upset when they get the news. Large 240 inverter units are not cheap.
This discussion has been closed.