Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating With a Hot Water Heater

bubba
bubba Member Posts: 4
I have a heatpump heating my home and I have a hotwater coil installed on my air handler in my attic. I want to use my hot water heater to reheat the air when I'm in defrost. The water heater is 50 gallons electric and sits in a closet in the middle of my home. I live in ranch on a slab. I would like to install a bronze pump and a mixing vale to prevent scaulding. Any help would be appreciated, I work for a mechanical contractor for 23 years now and have been a member of RSES since 1992.The house is 2100 sq. ft., the heatpump is a Hallowell 42,000 btu opticycle, I installed myself and works well when I'm not going into defrost so much, however, it seems that when we get alot of snow or the humidity is high, I go into defrost alot more. This is why I'm curious about using my water heater. The hot water coil is rated for 118,000 btu's @ 180 deg. water. Thanks guys!!! I'm one of you.

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    dhw

i don't think i would use a dhw heater for that purpose beside the low temp it will produce .It sounds like alot of work  to do it properly beside the brass pump i would never use portable hot water for heating unless i used a heat exchanger to keep all fluids seperate now your looking at all the other goodies that are required and if the a/h is located in the attic don,t forget about a freeze stat and what can happen when hot water coils  are exposed to possible freezing temps .I would just go get a eletric strip heater and install  that alot less of a hassle in comparision .I have heard of the hallowell h/p s and heard good things is this the model with the boost compressor which enables it to produe heat at very low temps ?how has it been performing for you just wondering .Hope this helped peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    I agree with the Clamster...

in as much as you are going to be using electricity for your interim source during defrost cycle, make it easier on yourself and go with an electric resistance element instead of a hydronic fan coil. Less mess, no possibility of water damage and or water born disease problems.

I know, there is some mystique in using hydronics as a heat source, but in this case, it only makes sense to NOT use water to do the job. More trouble and money than what its worth, and we haven't even started talking about the additional stress you'd be imparting to the tank by keeping it turned up. I seriously doubt that you'd be able to provide much more than 140 degree F water from storage, and when you start drawing, it will be less.

Replace the water coil with a toaster element coil and be done with it.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • bubba
    bubba Member Posts: 4
    The hallowell heatpump

Thanks for your input clammy, the heatpump is good. The only problem I've had are with a thermistor. No biggy, just got another. It's strange though with my problem, sometimes it heats the house great and other times I'm freezing. I think it has to do with how humid it is outside. I have an electric 8kw heater, but I disconnected it because the air wasn't much warmer and it seemed like I was wasting energy.
This discussion has been closed.