Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BAD OIL SMELL

Hi guys,

I converted from oil to gas yesterday. Now there is a very bad oil smell on the floor of the boiler room, and the closet where the oil tank was. Is there anything I can put down on the floor to soak up any oil that dripped and get rid of the smell?

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    oil smell

Check with a local heating supply house. There are many products on the market from aerosols to scented speedy dry to powders that can eliminate the oil smell.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    My friends used kitty litter.

My friends used kitty litter to clean up oil leak from their (now unused) basement oil tank. I still smell oil (years later) but I cannot tell if it is residue on the floor, or just what their oil burner smells like.
  • shawn indrerd
    shawn indrerd Member Posts: 28
    Thanx!

thank you, i went to my local plumbing and heating supply place and bought speedy dry, and a fuel oil deodorizing powder (i think from hercules).

however, i noticed an area of my carpet that got some oil on it. is there any way to rescue that? or do i have to rip it out?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    how about

calling the person who did the work? That is where you should start
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,929
    Oil Odor

You will need to rip out the soiled carpet and wood. .. With oil soaked cement , you can seal the odor in with epoxy paint ..

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    carpet

There is a powered cleaner you mix with water called dry clean. We used that to get oil out of carpets. use a kanga brush and wet vac or carpet machine to suck it back out.  if it soaked into the wood you'll probably need to take the carpet up and try to absorb it with the powders. Good luck
  • shawn indrerd
    shawn indrerd Member Posts: 28
    thanx to all

thanx to everyone for their help. i called back the company that did the work, and they came by to check it out. they will be standing by the job and will either get it clean or replace the problem spot.

have a good weekend.
This discussion has been closed.