Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam stumper...

Options
kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,435
Looked at a 3 unit apt today... 1 each floor. 1 steam boiler. T-stat in the bottom unit. strange oddity is that the 1st floor apt does not get heat ... all 4 rads cold but the risers to the 2nd and 3rd  are piping hot. I replaced the main vents a while back and can hear them panting. I have a varivalve in the back bathroom rad and still no change.... strange thing is that the riser to the 2nd and 3rd floor and just inches away from the 1st floor rads.. all piping is insulated. ty,kpc

Comments

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,786
    Options
    questions

1 pipe or 2 pipe?  What is the rated capacity and firing rate of the boiler?  What is the EDR of the connected radiation.  What type of main vents.  What type of radiator vents?  How is the piping arranged? 

It's really hard to comment on your system without knowing the above items.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • kcopp
    Options
    lets see...

1 pipe , paralell pipe. Near boiler piping is ok. 1 bull head tee but not real bad. 2 Gorton #1 on each main. the old ones were plugged. Rad vents are various. some gorton D upstairs. the problem floor has 1 varivalve, 1 ventrite. edr is around 500 ft2.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Panting....

Not generating enough steam pressure.

Boiler underfired or leaking steam out of a section into the combustion chamber?

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    panting radiators

either they are saying "peel me a grape", or the panting in those rads could be indicating uninsulated piping.

there could also be a problem with the relationship of venting capacity between the radiator vents, and the main vents. if your main vents are not up to the job, then all the air flow will try to escape [aided by the gas company at great expense] by way of the radiator vents. any water being carried along can end up in the vent, and close it with the internal float. so no venting there = no steam coming up!.

try to fire the boiler, with an assistant whose hand is on the switch for quick turning off. take off the vent, while it is off, and then switch it on. i bet you will see steam in those rads. make sure not to allow the steam to flow out the vent tapping for more than a few seconds as it can remove all the wallpaper in minutes!--nbc
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    The Gorton D's are winning the battle

try c's or smaller up stairs and CHECK for a leak in the boiler. Steam is lazy, remember that!.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,786
    Options
    And like Herding Cats!

Yes, steam is lazy, and has a mind of its own!  It goes where it wants to, not necessarily where you want it to.  Kinda like trying to herd cats.  They don't care what you want.  They're lazy and they go where they want!
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • kcopp
    Options
    thanks...

I will keep at it. The big rad in the living room is a bit better w/ the varivalve.
This discussion has been closed.