Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PVC VENTING

RICK JAMES
RICK JAMES Member Posts: 11
Is pvc venting going away ? are the manufactures going to rated cpvc if so will the local inspectors enforce local codes or do what the boiler maker askes ? I live in alaska and it would nice to have all the mod cons using one style of vent . any input would be great

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    I Believe

If you read any mod/con installation manual it already states you can vent with AL24C or ULC-S636 Pipe. PVC is just given as an option but promoted by the mfgs due to the less expensive cost of venting with PVC over the others. The other pipes unlike PVC are rated and tested as a vent material. This product is reasonable priced and is approved on many mod/cons. Goes together similar to the z-vent.    

http://www.centrotherm.us.com/

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    PVC venting

How about the first 5' be CPVC pipe then going to PVC sch 40 pipe? intake fresh air can stay regular PVC pipe and fittings. Thoughts?
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    I think we are headed down the same road as our friends to the north.

The Canadians manadated CPVC about a year ago.  Companies with strong ties in Canada have already started to push CPVC.  The problem in the US arises when you actually try and purchase 3" & 4" CPVC.  If you can get your hands on it, your lucky.  Larger suppliers are starting to get it in, but slowly, and it is pricey.

I have seen solid core PVC turn red from the Chloride leeching into the flue gas (or so I am told).  This seems to occur most on mod/con's run at the high end of the temp range.  I have seen a lot of these installed on high temp radiation where the cost and difficulty of replacing an oil boiler, with tank and chimney upgrades, are prohibitive.

I personally install PVC venting cautiously, and will look for CPVC when they get the supply chain straightened out.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited January 2011
    There are Alternatives

That are much less expensive than CPVC in abundance. Centrotherm is one mfg located in Albany NY and the other is M&G who just purchased Simpson Duravent. They both offer alternatives.

As to anwser Bob. My feeling is that you are installing a high end piece of equipment that the customer is paying alot for. Why not give them the same quality in the vent system as your giving them in the equipment.

I use the Centrotherm. It's polyproelyne which all of Europe uses. Carries a 10 Warranty on the Vent System. I'm in NY so it's convient for me. We cannot discuss pricing but its not pricey. M&G makes nice product also. There are alternatives we just need to get out of the mind set that the cheapiest way is the best way.

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Question....

On the PVC that is changing colors, is it doing so from the inside out, or the outside in?

Simple test. Take a sharp instrument and scrape the outside of the pipe. If it is white inside, then it is oxidation imbedding itself into the outer portion of the pipe.

I think the PPI is standing in the wings, laughing at us. PVC has been in use for venting gas fired appliances for a LONG time. I think the PPI members see this as an opportunity to get more money for their products because they have submitted it for testing and evaluation.

Just my opinion and conjecture. I have zero proof, just years and years of experience.

I have seen foam core pipe used in high temperature applications, and it didn't fail. I think it is the Chicken Little syndrome. I asked a friend of mine, who is a nationally renowned forensic investigator if he has seen any PVC failures, and he said he has seen one. It was a modcon boiler that was being run on LP and had not been converted. He said the no hub connector at the outlet of the boiler had collapsed the PVC due to excessive temperatures, and due to a hard light off, blew the PVC out of the fitting and spilled all products of combustion into the mechanical room.

ME

• JharrisSeattle
    JharrisSeattle Member Posts: 26
    Innoflue

Centrotherm innoflue is all our shop uses anymore on all mod/cons. Comes with a much higher temp rating then solid core pvc and is extremely simple to work with.  They have some great offerings also, such as polypropelne chimney liners.
This discussion has been closed.