Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HEpex Changing Color

I replaced a bunch of non barrier pex with Uponor HEpex.  One of the zones is about 50% of the heating load, and the circulator is on almost constantly.  I noticed the tubing for that zone discolored quite rapidly, the supply side darker than the return.   when I drain off a little of the water its not that dirty, and another section (different zone) hasn't discolored this way. 

Just left-over dirt?

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Been there, seen that...

Mostly on cast iron boiler powered systems. Obviously shows on the zones that run more.

Wherever the EVOH barrier has been scraped, the coloring gets worse.

I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Are you using water conditioning chemicals in the boiler?

I know at one point in time Wirsbo was thinking about adding a colorant to the HePEX so the consumer couldn't see the oxidation.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• plumbingshard
    plumbingshard Member Posts: 3
    I noticed it on one of the nicks

And that got me to wondering (worrying).  I tested the water and was told not to worry about it.  I'm on well water and its on the hard side, no chlorine.  Should I go ahead and add a product to be on the safe side?  System has been in place for about 6 months.  Would it be too late?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Fluid maintenance is a good idea...

And THE most overlooked necessity on residential settings.

Commercially, there is a whole industry that takes care of the hydronic systems in commercial buildings, but it is rarely done in residential settings.

Contact Rhomar Water and talk to Dwight Hedgpeth. He's my go to man on water treatment.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.