Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Blues

Options
Booj
Booj Member Posts: 5
I have an HB Smith residential boiler that was installed in 1978. It is a two-pipe steam system and the boiler itself has taken to leaking water out of the bottom. So much so that the boiler doesn't even have be fired up for it to leak. The LWCO will kick in even if the boiler hasn't fired at all. On these extremely cold days, I can fill the boiler and run it for about an hour before the LWCO shuts it down. Am I in really deep do-do here? Do I need a new boiler or can I can simply replace some internal parts and spare the expense and stress of installing a whole new unit. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shivering in St. Louis

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    leaking smith

if the boiler is still a current model, there may be replacement sections available. see if you can find the distributor for your area for smith boilers, and ask him who has installed smith boilers before. if your guardian angel has been working overtime, maybe the leak is from one of the nipples, which are easily replaced.

COMFORT SALES AGENCY INC   (Main Office)

7103 MARINE RD., HWY 143 EAST

PO BOX 483

EDWARDSVILLE   , IL 62025, US

Phone: 618-656-1655

Fax: 618-692-8066

m.nelson@comfortsales.com

as with cars, the spare parts are probably almost as expensive as a new model, but the piping would need minimal modification. however is the current piping done well enough to keep?

if you choose a new replacement, then make sure it is sized to the radiation, and not just to what was there before.

post a picture of the boiler and piping here and we may see something good or bad about it.--nbc
  • Booj
    Booj Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Boiler Blues

Thank you NBC for the shred of hope and the local info you provided. Will post a picture as soon as I figure out how.
This discussion has been closed.