Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No Pressure.....Problem Solved

Options
crash2009
crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
You know what they say eh!  Gotta get going when the going is good.  We had a nice day here in Ann Arbor, about 33 F, and Lee Roberts from Roberts Plumbing and Heating had some time available.  We knocked it out today 9-5.  We beefed up the meter run with 12 feet of 1.25".  Then sent some 3/4" down to the hot water heater.  The boiler got the 1" that it always wanted.  Clocked the meter again and now the boiler is pulling 195 CFH.  Big jump from the 150 with the previous gas line.  Will clock again with everything running at a later date. 

Now that I have some pressure, some other prioritys have popped up such as 5 leaking packing nuts, 2 radiator unions leaking, and a squirrely Gorton #2.  I guess this explains why I have been adding 1/2" of water every week.

Thanks again everyone for all your help! 

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Nice Setup!

Hi Crash- A very nice looking boiler and piping setup! Makes my boiler's dungeon look very gloomy.

- Rod
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,786
    Options
    Congrats

Nice to see that you have your piping and gas pressure problems resolved. 
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    Glad to see the problem is solved

Its nice to here a happy ending.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Well how much?

Now that you are getting pressure how much are you seeing on the gauge? Is your system now cycling on the vaporstat or the thermostat?
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Mark, I have been kinda busy

working on other things lately.  I did have time this morning to hang out in the boiler room for a few hours with my morning coffee.  This was really my first chance to see what it was doing since the gas line changes. 

I have not corrected the leaks yet, 6 valve stem leaks, 2 radiator union leaks, and 1 of the main vents is not right. These leaks showed up on the first cycle @ near 2 psi.

I did have a chance to compare my notes from Jan 14 (16 F) 5-8 am, t-stat 72 F, to today Jan 20 (16 F) 5-8 am, t-stat 70 F.  January 14 cycled 40on, 30off ,40on, 30off.  Todays cycle was 20on, 50off, 20on, 50off.  You know I am rounding off the numbers to show the difference in the pattern. 

I lowered the t-stat 2 degrees to 70 F, we are still able to maintan a comfortable temperature with the lower setting. 

I compared, roughly, fuel use before and after, the new gas line, and came up with a 7.5% saving.

I may have prematurly announced pressure problem solved, or maybe I should have said clocking problem solved.  Anyway in answer to your questions the boiler is currently cycling on the thermostat, and the pressure is still low, but higher than it was.  A typical cycle now is on, boil, steam to main vents in 6 minutes, pressure to .10 soon after that, then remains at .10 until off.  
This discussion has been closed.