Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air Handlers

Nick_28
Nick_28 Member Posts: 20
Attic access and return air filter box...

I have a challenge which I may consider to do, I may consider relocating an air handler to allow attic access to the unit rather than what the builder left as a coat closet roof scuttle which requires a ladder for access. I originally planned for attic stairs in a laundry room which worked well. But the HVAC installer placed the air handler perpendicular to the attic pathway and made it inaccessible. Frustrating but nevertheless one unit is accessible by attic stairs to the air handler - Lenox that work in conjunction with a hydronic boiler and AC units for the summer months.

The other pet peive. The installer didn't put a return in each of the three bedrooms on one end of the house. Instead they installed a return air in the hallway outside the three rooms. So when you close off the bedroom doors, the rooms overheat which my kids love because it’s close to 72 degrees, but the Programmable t'stat in my room 50 feet down the hall is satisfied with the 65 degree setting it is set at. There is a return in master bedroom which balances the temps accordingly.

Now I am wondering how to retrofit the three bedrooms to have each a return but one filter bank to take care of that unit exhaust rather than moving the unit and my other thought is it too costly to relocate ductwork, heating loops, etc.. and rehang the unit? The other solution rather than relocating the air handler is to purchase a high end attic access ladder unit in the garage that exceeds 10 feet above floor, although it should be fire rated since it is a garage which again can be costly considering the specialty equipment. I am guessing the attic stairs may be cheaper than movingn an air handler... Any thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.