Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What's the latest on 24 volt LWCO causing short of transformer?

Options
Joseph_4
Joseph_4 Member Posts: 271
Does anyone have any info on 24 volt LWCO on gas forced hot water boilers causing the transformer to burn out. I've had customers with the L8148E burn out as well as the transformer on the R8285D. These were relatively new boilers. Local guys have mentioned that the LWCOs have been known to do this. Any info on which model LWCO to stay away from?

Thanks

Joe

HHI Services LLC

Comments

• Tim Potter
    Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
    Options
    Any Info on this ?

I might be having the same problem, Sorry for the Hi-Jack of the thread, Slant/fin SX-150 Repairman reports vent dampener opening & closing and boiler won't stay running. I'm 650 miles away, my guy is kinda scratching his head

Thank you for any input:

Tim
    Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO
  • RobbieDo
    RobbieDo Member Posts: 131
    Options
    RB-24

I hadnthis issue many years ago on a boiler but don't remember what LWCO was on it. I use RB-24 McDonnell & Miller and haven't had any issues with them. What type of LWCO is on this boiler? How is it wired?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Tim Potter
    Options
    Possible transformer problem,

Again, sorry for the hi-jack,

My boiler control is a L8148E, The LWCO is a 24V Taco LTA0243S-2.

I wired it to the L8148E by removing the jumper between Z-W and wired those to the relay' NC set of contacts. Z goes to the C term on the relay, & W goes to the NC term.

The LWCO gets its power from Z, and neut from TV
  • RobbieDo
    Options
    Joe

Actually I was asking Joe, this is his post.

• RobbieDo
    Options
    Tim

From what you write, your wiring doesn't seem right? Did this work before? You said you had a HVAC tech there and he can't figure it out? I guess I'm confused?

• Tim Potter
    Options
    Thanks

I should have started a new thread, it was just so ironic, the problems sounded so similar.

If the problems are not related, I'll start a new thread if needed.

Yes my system worked for a Month after I Installed & wired up the LWCO, it didn't have one originally.

The Local repairman was recommended by Mark Eatherton. I have confidence in him, but its not readily apparent what the problem is. I was hoping to give him some input from "those who have been there" to potentially shorten the already extensive diag time.

If the LWCO is potentially a problem, I can supply 24 volts to the LWCO off a different transformer on the replacement Aquastat, IF that's what it needs.

According to the attached Honeywell wiring diag, by installing the LWCO relay contact between Z & W, you interrupt the coil side of the relay, which opens the burner and circulater circuit

Thank You:

Tim
  • RobbieDo
    Options
    Taco

Go to Taco site and look how they tell you to wire it and do it that way.

• Tim Potter
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, I will start a new thread for my problem

I'm still interested in seeing if there are any instances of the LWCO taking out the Boiler control.

Thank You,

Tim
This discussion has been closed.