Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

"steam radiators" used in a hot water system?

semarr
semarr Member Posts: 1
Hello,

I just found an ad on my neighborhood's bulletin board. Someone is giving away 3 ornate "steam radiators".

We have a 40-yr-old hot water heating system with a cast iron boiler and cast iron radiators.

Can steam radiators be converted to hot water radiators? We are not looking to add additional zones; we were just considering swapping out a radiator that we don't like.

My understanding from reading online is that very old steam radiators cannot be used in a hot water system, but that most radiators can be used in both applications, but I don't really understand why or what is the difference in the radiator materials or structure. Is my understanding correct? And if so, how will I be able to tell if my neighbor's radiator will work with our system?

I have attached an image of our boiler, in case that is helpful or useful at all...

Thanks!

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Steam to Hot Water:

They were designed for steam and hot water. The biggest problem is getting the fittings and plugs out. Not a job for a rookie or amateur.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    steam radiators

if there are push nipples at both the top and bottom of the steam radiators and a vent at one end near the top of the radiator. how old is your gas boiler. check with your local professional heating contractor and see if a condensing gas boiler can be installed is should be able to lower your heating costs. If going condensing and it can be vented sidewall go with a indirect water heater and then you will not have anything to do with the old chimney. If you can not sidewall vent the condensing boiler and the chimney is strait up you can run PVC pipe up the chimney for the vent and bring in fresh air from the side wall when using a Triangle Tube Prestige Solo or Prestige Excellence condensing gas boiler.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    PVC Exhaust Vents:

Bob, there is coming a time soom where you must use CPVC for exhausting boilers. You can use PVC for fresh air intake but not exhaust. The ratings aren't high enough. If you have PVC pipe that is yellowing, it is overheating and breaking down.
  • oldpipefitter
    oldpipefitter Member Posts: 9
    Steam Radiators

If the sections are connected together at the top, as they are at the bottom, then you can use them on water. You may need to drill and tap a vent in to it. A test to see if it will hold water would be good.
  • Radiator Ranger
    Radiator Ranger Member Posts: 81
    Steam Radiator / Water Radiator Pictures

Hi -

#1 is an image of a radiator that was built for steam only. Notice how the horizontal top and bottom connections are different?

#2 is an image of a radiator that can work in both a steam and / or hot water system. Notice how the horizontal top and bottom look the same?

On the steam radiator water cannot pass through the top of the radiator from one fin to another while it can on the water radiator. Just because a radiator was used in a steam system does not mean it is a 'steam only' radiator. If the fins are connected the same at the top and bottom it can be used in hot water and steam systems. If the connection is dissimilar at the top and bottom the radiator cannot be used in a water system effectively unless you tap each fin and install bleeder valves to release air.

When acquiring used radiators I do both a tap test and a cursory pressure test. For the tap test, I tap the fins of the radiator with a piece of metal; if it rings I buy the radiator, if it thuds there is a good chance the radiator cavities are filled with sediment - I don't buy those.

In terms of a cursory pressure test I have someone cover the holes at the far end of the radiator, I place a piece of cloth between my mouth and the opening at the other end of the radiator and I fill the radiator with air from my lungs and hold the pressure for 5-10 seconds. Once I've established the radiator can hold the air, I raise a finger which tell the person at the other end of the radiator to remove their hand preventing blowback from the interior of the radiator from spewing wet or dry, rusty sediment in the face (eewwww is right!). Once I've eliminated the chance of leaks and the unit holds air I will purchase it; so far this has worked well for me.

I hope this helps!

Gwen Healy - Radiator Ranger

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• MIke_Jonas
    MIke_Jonas Member Posts: 209
    If I were you..

I would be more concerned with what looks like scorching on the front panel of that boiler.

When was the last time it was serviced?
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    edited January 2011
    Gwen

You may want to look into blow up test plugs and taking a Snifter valve with you. The plug can be put into the supply piping and the snifter screwed into the air vent. Then a small 12 volt or rechargeable compressor can be used to test the units. I want to add I think Dan should let us star the best answer or what helped the most with the question asked. I would star Gwen's for this post.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.