Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam leak

Options
BillyP
BillyP Member Posts: 5
We have a 12 unit apartment building.  Our oil bills are really high so we had a contractor come out to see if there is anything we can do to lower them.  He found a leak in th boiler above the water line.  Every time the boiler is firing, steam pours out of it.  He says this is the reason why the bills are so high.  It costs alot of money to replace the boiler and i know that we have to do it anyway, but I'm hoping that this is the main reason why the bills are so high. 

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    yeap

yes sir beside all that steam floating up your chimmey and having to replace your steam boiler please think the reason why ?Have all wet returns checked for leaks  boiler usually get holes from hi chlorides in the make up water and making up alot of water ,For your own benefit make sure your new boiler is properly sized and that a secondary low water cut off is installed and either a automatic water feeder with a water use recorder(hydrolevel svt) or a small water meter is installed to keep track of water use other wise you will be replacing the boiler again.for the record i have a building that use about 15 gallons a season of water boiler size about 850,000 btu ,Do your home work before you leap other wise you will be stuck with a bigger promblem peace and good luck clammy just tell in the truth
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.