Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cycles/hour

Options
Irv
Irv Member Posts: 95
Fellas,

I currently have my thermostat,(honeywell chronotherm T8085A-1004),

set a a constant temp of 68 degrees. System cycles on/off approx 3 times per hour. Runs about 5-6min, off 15 min or so.

Temp is maintained very accurately.

Too many cycles??

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    CPH adjustable?

I've got the Honeywell RTH6450 and that one sets the CPH to 1 for steam or gravity hot water. It keeps the temperature within a degree or so except when coming back from my 4 degree night setback, it overshoots by about 1 degree then.

Does that thermostat have an anticipator? As long as you don't burn a lot of extra fuel and your comfortable maybe you should just let it be.  If you have the option, try setting the CPH to 1 and see how things work out, you can always go back if you don't like it.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Irv
    Options
    cycles

The thermostat just has an anticipator. Thats currently set to .2

Thanks
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Thermostat

Is this thermostat on a steam system? Takes me about 10 mi utes to get steam to all the rads then another 10 to 15 to heat rads up to satisfy the thermostat. Then my boiler will stay off for 1 to 2 hrs depending on how cold.
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
    Anticipator setting

The present anticipator setting at .2 is very low and would be more suitable for a hot air system. Try moving it up to .3 or .4  and see how it cycles. In general, the higher the numerical setting, the longer the boiler will run per cycle, and the cycles will occur less often.

5 or 6 minutes on does not really give the boiler enough time to get air out of the piping and steam to the furthest radiators.

Here is the manual for your thermostat:

http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/69-0000s/69-0258.pdf
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Longer burn

It's just below 20 with a light wet wind right now. My steam boiler comes on about every two hours and runs for 6-7 minutes to get my radiator vents hissing (Gorton #! on the 15 ft steam main), the system cycles off on pressure initially about 3 minutes later. It cycles on and off a few more times till the thermostat is satisfied 15 minutes after the initial call for heat.

This is with a thermostat that maintains the temperature within a degree or so. I would follow Mikes advise to lengthen the burn time by adjusting your anticipator since you don't have a CPH adjustment.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Irv
    Options
    cycles

Thanks for your input fellas. It is a one pipe steam  system.
This discussion has been closed.