Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

two pipe steam conversion w/wall convectors

Teddyw
Teddyw Member Posts: 1
I converted a two pipe steam system 15 years ago and it has worked fine for all this time. The only alteration to this system that I know of is when remodeling basement the contractor had someone remove an old unit htr. The problem I am having is I am not getting good flow to the convectors at the end of the main(1st and 2nd floor) I'm getting heat but not enough. Next question- if I remove the supply piping that connects back into return willit have any adverse effects?

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,399
    Trying to picture

your last question, the "supply piping that connects back into return". Do you mean the equalizer at the boiler?

Regarding the end convectors, are there traps or is this an "express return to below the waterline" type vapor system?

If the former, I would replace the traps or at least the trap capsules. (Tunstall Associates, Chicopee, MA is a great resource. Barnes and Jones is another.) All traps begin their function per cycle as air vents.

If the latter, there would likely be air vents on the radiators. Are they functioning?

I am surmising from your statement about having a unit heater removed that this has reduced the venting of air ahead of the steam in some way. Just a first hunch.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.