Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiators Not Heating

Options
CMadatMe
CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
Being a wet head I don't see much steam. Have a job where a Peerless WBV03 Steamer w/coil was installed and now some of the rads don't see any steam unless the boiler runs for a long long time. They are basically stone cold. The valves while old have been checked for operation and are functioning.

I believe this is a piping issue and have attached photos of the main header. There is also no main vent to speak of. Some of the rads do get hot and others do not. The system worked prior to the install and nothing was touched on the rad end only the piping at the boiler. All the vents on the rads have been changed. The boiler also surges. Has been treated numerous times. It also seems to go into the test mode on the hydro level lwco quite often. Is that common.

I did not do the install and have not yet attempted a fix. I feel the header needs to be repiped. Instead of writing a book. I figured to post the pics and then field any questions that come  back.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    to repipe, or not to repipe, that is the question....

i say re-pipe according to peerless own installation instructions.

that header will certainly need to be bigger [maybe even by 1 in.], and is there enough height for the "a" dimension?

if the pressure is kept down, and there is capacious main venting, in conjunction with a re-pipe, the system will work as the mfg. intended.

peerless have excellent tech support [610-369-3208], if you want additional advice to show the customer, as well as the original manual showing the required piping layout, which should have been followed earlier.

i believe that peerless monitor this site anonymously, so when talking to them, they may already have seen your pictures!-nbc
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Labeled Piping

Hi- I labeled the piping in your photos so we could refer to them individually and tried to trace out the pipes.  I'm not a pro but these are the questions that came up when I was tracing the piping.

Pipe "A"- It would appear that this might be a parallel main?  Is the pipe marked "Return "A" actually a return for Pipe "A" ?  How many radiators are the attached to Pipe "A"?

Pipe marked "A - 1" does this go to a single radiator?

Pipe "B" - Is this a parallel main ?  If so does it have a return ?.(I couldn't find one in the pictures)    How many radiators are attached to pipe "B"

Pipe "C" - Is this pipe a counterflow ?  How many radiators are attached to this pipe?

Pipe "D" - Is this pipe a counterflow? How many radiators are attached to this pipe?

It would seem to me that the system needs a proper header. The boiler riser going straight through the tee and up pipe "A:" has to be causing a problem.  It needs to have some vents added in the appropriate places and on the counterflows pipes a drip on each pipe might be helpful.

- Rod
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
    Proper size boiler?

Does the system build any pressure on a long run? Was the boiler sized properly to match the EDR of the installed radiation?
This discussion has been closed.