Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lengthening cast radiators in a hot water system

Gran
Gran Member Posts: 3
I put an extension on our kitchen. I need to add a radiator to heat it. My wife really likes keeping the style and motif of our 80 year old home. all our cast iron rads are uncovered, she likes the look and the ability to keep them dust free (we all have allergies). So, the new radiator has to be a close match to the style of the existing rads. I need a rad about 50" long, can be longer, to provide the heat and fit the aesthetics of the room (has to work with the window width). I found a pair of perfect rads, except they are too short. A friend suggested I use half of one to lengthen the other, which would work perfect. I have always advised against doing that, but never really asked an expert if it was ill advised. So, is it ill advised? We are handy, have access to about every tool we could ever need, and aren't afraid of work. All we lack is money! If this is not a stupid idea, are there any secrets to success? Thanks.

Comments

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    radiators over a certain size

need a middle section with legs. I think you would be in that size range with a 50" radiator. Of course it depends on the size and style of radiator.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Gran
    Okay on middle legs

I have a similar style rad in another room that is 50" long and has no middle legs. Hadn't thought of that, I'll keep it to less than 50". So, it is possible to add units to a cast iron rad, after it has been in service.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    if it were....

me I would just find 1 bigger radiator. Trying to "build" something it a ton of work and probably will leak.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357
    edited January 2011
    order new nipples

if it is in decent shape it should be fine. Have you worked with radiators before? Do you have a photo of the style you have? Also where are you located?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Gran
    Looking locally, without luck to date

The little photo next to my name is the same as the type of Rad we are working with. I have worked with cast iron baseboard before, learned the hard way that you should replace all the nipples!. I am checking local used radiator sources for a one piece, right size solution. Typically, it would be beyond what I can afford. We are in the Philadelphia, PA area.
This discussion has been closed.