Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old house piping

saber
saber Member Posts: 9
I live in a old house that had bad windows and no insulation. After remodeling, new windows and finishing the unheated upstairs i have had to remove and move radiators. I have removed radiators in rooms that had two because it was to hot. And moved radiators to the upstairs to three new bedrooms, this is working good.

I have a single line mono flow system that runs the perimeter of the basement. I have not disturbed the main line system. The three rooms i added i used the feed and returns that i removed from the lower rooms. I have complete the circuits on the unused mono flow tee`s. I have also installed radiant floor heating under my kitchen and dining area because of the cold tile floors, this is also working good.  My big question is that i have rooms i don't use but not able to isolate the radiators from the system. I'm thinking about re-piping the system so the mono flow system provides the main house with heat and creating zones off the boiler to provide heat for seldom used rooms and floor heating in the bathrooms. I know this is alot of work but will this work. My boiler is a Weil Mclain GV-5

Comments

• Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Sure it will work.

It might be simpler to pipe in a bypass between the risers for the rooms you're not using. You could put a three-way zone valve that allows flow either through the radiator (if the thermostat is calling for heat) or the bypass (if there's no call for heat.)

If you do pipe in a single separate zone parallel to your monoflo circuit, you'll have to be careful to balance the flow in the two circuits. Monoflo is a relatively high pressure drop circuit, and you could wind up with insufficient flow in it when the other zone is calling for heat.
This discussion has been closed.