Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PH sensor

Steve_210
Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
Does any of the condensing boilers have a built in ph sensor. If not can anyone recomend one that could be added to the piprwork.

Comments

• LarryC
    LarryC Member Posts: 331
    Why ?

DISCLAIMER     I AM NOT A HEATING OR PLUMBING PROFESSIONAL

"Does any of the condensing boilers have a built in ph sensor. If not can anyone recomend one that could be added to the piprwork. "

Which fluid stream do you want to monitor and why?
  • Steve_210
    if the boiler

has an alumium heat exchanger you need to moniter the PH levels
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    I am not a professional.

I do have a pH meter that I use once in a while to measure pH of things, like photographic solutions. It works on my boiler too, but I do not believe it would make sense to install a well somewhere in the system and leave the meter in there. One problem is the meter is very temperature sensitive, even though it is claimed to be temperature compensated. I know if I calibrate it at 70F and measure the water at 120F, the readings are way off. Furthermore, if I calibrate it one day, it is off the next even at essentially the same temperature. It works fine under static conditions where it can be calibrated. But as an operating device, I would forget it. Also, I do not know how long the probe would last in a continuous duty situation.

As long as your system does not leak, I would not expect its pH to change very quickly. So flush out your system, put in fresh water, measure the pH and put some Sentinel or Rhomar soup in there as directed, and assume it will buffer the pH from one annual service to the next. I think if you want to add something to your boiler, a small water meter would be more helpful, because it could warn you of leaks.
  • Steve_210
    thanks

i read a post earlier where a dripping relief valve went unnoticed and ruined the HX.

I thought it would be a nice feature so the customers could monitor it themselves but i guess they can do that with a water meter. I wasn,t aware of the temp issue
This discussion has been closed.