Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Munchkin part question

Options
clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,113
Well it was bound to happen sooner or later finally i have a munchkin who,s swirl plate and fan is shot ,the unit has been in for a little over five years has had service and has never gone off on any code .being this is the first swirl plate that has disinagrated which has destoyer the  plasti blower fan i am wonering if i will be able to get just the plasti fan and the swirl plate or am i going to get hosed into a complete fan motor with the plastic blower wheel ,HO have no heat beng it's sunday and nobodies open or willing to open  i did get them a bunch of eletri heater for now .This unit was installed using the v1000 vent kit and really shows no signs of corrision on the fan motor or any electric connetions .thanks for any info on where or not i can get just the plastic blower wheel or any i hosed into the whole deal ,peace and good luck clammy
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Re: swirl plate and fan

Clammy, I do not think you can get a separate wheel, think you have to bite the bullet and whole fan and swirl plate. Good luck and peace. Tim
  • clammy
    Options
    Thanks tims

thanks Tim ,i 'll be sure to find out tommorow what the damage is thanks again
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Swirl plate

You can buy a swirl plate if you have a decent supplier. Typically a bad swirl plate if from the intake bringing in exhaust gases that eat up the plate. You can tell if the black iron gas pipe inside the cabinet is discolored. It usually happens during a low fire situation. If it terminates with a concentric its best to extend the exhaust 12" or so. If its a flush mount concentric, get rid of it and terminate each pipe separately.

Don''t forget to check the combustion after you replace the plate.
  • AMH112181
    AMH112181 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    one piece

The fan is a one piece unit.  I have done a couple its kind of a pain to change.  good luck
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    Options
    swirl plate

How is the boiler vented???

I install Munchkin's - It is VERY critical that the boiler can't suck up it's exhaust gasses.

The ONLY reason that the plastic parts go bad is because of contact with exhaust gasses.

Exhaust gasses can rise up from the combustion chamber when the unit first shuts off.

That is why the newer boilers have a longer purge time after the burner shuts off.

I suggest that the exhaust pipe must be at least 18 inches above the intake and preferably downwind from the intake.

Exhaust gas reversion will destroy the plastic parts and eventually the 925 controller.

Steve - BELTLINE HTG.
  • kjh
    kjh Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Swirl plate

Stating that the only reason the swirl plate fails with this blanket statement of combustion gas recirculation is a bit much.

I have repaired these boilers that have been in 24/7 service for over 7 years and witnessed the Swirl plate just delaminate. The plastic was in good shape and i could have just glued the thing back together and it would have worked (other than balancing the fan issue).

I can eliminate cavitation and installation issues since the boilers work flawlessly for as I said over 7 years.

I did note that HTP has changed from a plastic swirl plate to metal which should fix a lot of the previous issues they have had with reliability of this part. I never did like the Laminated plate and always thought this was a weak point on this boiler.

And Yes Venting issues can cause problems but I wouldn't go as far as to state that it is ALWAYS the reason.
  • kjh
    Options
    Swirl plate

Stating that the only reason the swirl plate fails with this blanket statement of combustion gas recirculation is a bit much.

I have repaired these boilers that have been in 24/7 service for over 7 years and witnessed the Swirl plate just delaminate. The plastic was in good shape and i could have just glued the thing back together and it would have worked (other than balancing the fan issue).

I can eliminate cavitation and installation issues since the boilers work flawlessly for as I said over 7 years ago when I installed them.

I did note that HTC has changed from a plastic swirl plate to metal which should fix a lot of the previous issues they have had with reliability of this part. I never did like the Laminated plate and always thought this was a week point on this boiler.

And Yes Venting issues can cause problems but I wouldn't go as far as to state that it is ALWAYS the reason.
  • kjh
    Options
    Swirl plate

I can eliminate cavitation and installation issues since the boilers work flawlessly for as I said over 7 years ago when I installed them.

I did note that HTC has changed from a plastic swirl plate to metal which should fix a lot of the previous issues they have had with reliability of this part. I never did like the Laminated plate and always thought this was a week point on this boiler.

• clammy
    Options
    Old post

This was a old post from 2 months ago and i see it has come back .I do realize that the venting is critial .I have and do check my combustion air for re circ with my CA .This is the first issue i have had with a swirl plate or or any munhkin that i have installed and i belive the longest one i have in is on it's 9 or 10 season with no issues but then that one is running at design day at about 160 F so most of the shoulders months it 's in the condensing mode or close to it.I think the issue of them disinergarting has more to due with break down from the exposure of heat form the cabinet  more so them flue gas being there where no sign of rust or deteration of gas valve or residue on any electrical termial ,i will have to see about that being i am now using the peerless purefires and there gas valve assemble is below the heat exhanger instead of above .I do follow the manafactures vent outlines to the letter and it is not like i have not done direct vent seal combustion heating systems before i have been doing it on the hvac side for about 20 years or so ,so it is not anything new to myself been there done that and know all the re circ issues with both types of systems i am not a newbie 27 to 28 years in the bussiness .It seems to me the reason it is less seen on hot air stuff ( unless not piped properly)is that they do not use a gun burner but  a power exhaust and they do not modulate down to such lower firing rates that the exiting velocity of the flue gases are thrown a bit unlike say a munchkin 80 at low fire of 15mbtu which barely puffs out the exhaust which is when i believe most flue gas recirc is occuring  aside from miss piping of flue system .Thanks again for your input and thoughts on the subject and i will have to look at that steel swirl plate to have in stock being just about all of my installs where t80 .Thanks again peace and good luck clammy
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
This discussion has been closed.