Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Where to get new Spuds w/ union?

I lost all of male sides of my unions that connect my radiators when demo-ing my house. Didn't think about keeping them because I thought they wouldn't come apart anyway. Well, I then discovered a "spud" is normally used (with small keys on the ID of the spud which is the point of a spud wrench) instead of standard pipe nipples to connect to the radiator.

I have asked all over locally, and also haven't seen anywhere online to get new spuds. Anyone know of somewhere?


  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,250
    You need to buy

    Radiator valves. They do not come as separate pieces.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

    cell # 413-841-6726
  • Nebraska
    Nebraska Member Posts: 3
    Return Side Union?

    Thanks Charlie. What about on the return side of the radiator? There is a valve on the supply side, but not the return side. Do they come together as a kit (2 unions together as a kit)?
  • JharrisSeattle
    JharrisSeattle Member Posts: 26

    I have never seen a kit offered with a valve and a radiator return ell.  Your best bet is to get new valves and radiator return ells as charlie stated. Even if you could get new valve nipples and unions it is very unlikely they would seat properly, especially if you have old valves, and you would likely be stuck  with drippers at every union.
  • Nebraska
    Nebraska Member Posts: 3

    Thanks JharrisSeattle. Finally when I searched for "Radiator Return Ells" then I found what was needed. I just didn't know what they were called. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.