Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LWCO Maintenance Free

Options
Dave in QCA
Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,786
We all know the problems that occur when LWCO devices that require routine flushing fail to get the regular attention.

I recently saw some engineering applied to both McDonnell-Miller devices on a 35 HP Kewanee fire tube boiler located in a government installation.  It happened to be in a basement of a significant residence that did not have staff routinely present.  The occupant could not be expected to tend the boiler, and maintenance staff tromping in once a week would have been a bit of an intrusion. 

So, some engineer who was thinking installed electric powered ball valves on the bottom of both M-M devices, and the mud leg blow down.  The ball valves were controlled by a time clock that exercised each valve at regular intervals.  I don't recall if it was weekly or more often.  It occurred to me that it was cool way to solve an age old problem.  I am surprised that M-M doesn't offer this as an option.

Steam boilers to need regular attention, but in reality, they don't get the attention they need in most cases.  In those rare, but all to often cases, they don't get any attention at all, and then you have a dry-fire disaster.
Dave in Quad Cities, America
Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
http://grandviewdavenport.com

Comments

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options
    interesting idea ..

but I'm not sure I would trust completely a valve designed to drain water from my boiler...what if there's a brown-out mid-stroke? 
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,786
    Options
    agreed

I agree with you jpf, there is no substitute for paying attention to the boiler, and I imagine the colanel could have made time to blow off the LWCO devices in his mansion. 

However, in regard to the setup that was engineered, in the case of a brownout, the clean LWCO would have continued to drain.  The boiler would not have fired.  When the power came back on, the functioning LWCO would have closed, and as soon as the boiler finished filling with water, the boiler would have begun to fire, assume there was a demand.  In the off season, I'm sure the whole things was shut down.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Joe V_2
    Joe V_2 Member Posts: 234
    edited January 2011
    Options
    At work

We have auto surface blowdown valves that blow until conductivity rises. They have stuck open , or stayed open because of a faulty sensor, and drained boilers ( more than 1). LWCO kills boiler(s) and computer calls us in middle of the coldest nights to come in and fix. After several occurrences,we fixed by disabling auto valves. be careful with boilers and automation.
This discussion has been closed.