Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Testing primaries

Do you test the primary control whey you service oil burners?

I'm bewildered. How can primary controls that were recalled go through 12 servicings and not be called into question. These particular primaries would trip but keep the burner motor on. I guess they are the same techs that don't know there is a pump strainer.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    That is a must Meplumber

New or old, they all need to be tested, and even timed for lock out. Something that I've carried over from the days of the stack control. They were 90 seconds max. Amazing that occasionally one would run minutes before it would lock out. 
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Sad Thing is!

The sad thing is I don't think 3/4 of the guys servicing burners in my area know how to test a primary. 1.) Does it start if there is light? 2.) Does is cut out if it doesn't see light in a timely fashion.

I also pull the pressuretroll off steam units and test them to be sure they are working and the pigtail is clear. Most of them are working at double what they are set for. They will be set for (.5) and a 1 differential. But don't open until the gauge is up close to 3 psi.

I've been called in on units where the service tech from the oil tech has been out 12 times in three days changed the nozzel each time but it keep shutting down. The electrode gap was 5/8" and the transformer only putting out 3500 volts. Interesting keeping the transformers above 6000 volts I haven't had to do a lot of electrode adjusting lately. That's another thing I've been told "I didn't know you could bend them. Where ever they fall is where they set them. I have customers who were having 12 to 14 service calls a year. After doing a proper set up they haven't had a down unit in over 5 years. I have to call and remind them it's time for the annual cleaning.  Sure it takes longer to do it right, but I would rather sit home on Christmas day.

Sadly the the training information is only a phone call away and a few hours of reading. But the won't put forth the effort to learn!
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    sorry world plumber

mixed you up with meplumber. Keep going the extra mile, it will set you apart from those who like frequent house calls
This discussion has been closed.