Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating for large warehouse

Dave76
Dave76 Member Posts: 1
We are looking to provide heating for a large <span style="text-decoration:underline;">EXISTING</span> warehouse of around 3500 sq ft. This area has a WET sprinkler system installed which needs to be maintained at above freezing temperature. The owner is looking for the most efficient system to heat this which will give coverage and prevent freezing. They would also like to heat this area to a higher temperature for occasional times. We were thinking of either radiant tube heating or gas fired unit heaters.  I understand that the radiant heating would probably be a more efficient but also is moire directional. We are looking at a height of around 20 feet and have got pricing on radiant heaters that would have around a 20 foot path. Unit heaters w3ould have to heat the total area.  They also have ceiling fans located in the area which they are wondering if this would help during heating operation.  Any thoughts on this from anyone on these options or any other options. Also, any thoughts on using ceiling fans for heating operation, help or hinder?

Comments

• Oak Park Electric
    Oak Park Electric Member Posts: 54
    Fans during heating

Ceiling fans are very important if you want to get any of that heat down to people height.  You would not believe how severely air stratifies in big open buildings.  Where I'm working now ( stationary engineer / electrician / maintenance ) we heat with steam unit heaters and have high ceilings.  With a chest height temp of 62, it is a little over 80 on the ceiling.  I also had a similar experience in a hospital gymnitorium.  Without fans, that heat is wasted.  I can't say if radiant is the way to go or not, but in that application, comfort is typically not first priority and gas units might be cheaper to install.  I would recommend separated combustion units if you go that way.
This discussion has been closed.