Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett AFG - PUFF noise

ajm
ajm Member Posts: 1
My boiler was working just fine until I just replaced the oil tank and supply lines to it.

I've been experience a " puff " sound that could be felt from upstairs sometimes. it's not overly loud, but definitely audible.

You can definitately see the change in flame during this " puff " and also the damper on the chimney stack gives a little jiggle, like a short burst of air outwards instead of it's ussual sucking in.

I bled the system some more, and re-seated the gasket around the filter, which seemed to help. in ran good for a few hours and then started again.

I then procceded to bleed it some more, then I went to bed. I didnt hear any puffs sounds as I was falling asleep, but when i woke up 8 hours later the burner was on lockout ( fast half second blinks )... Did a hard reset, bled it again, and it's been working fine for about 20 minutes now. But im not entirely sure my problem is solved.

What should i be looking for here? I keep hearing the fuel / air ratio is off, but it was working just fine prior to me replacing the supply line and tank

Should I re-do my flare fittings on the cooper? wrap them in teflon? could this be a sign of a poor flare fitting on my part and the puff sound is air being sucked in from a bad fitting and hitting the burner?

thanks

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    AFG puff

If nothing else has changed since you changed the oil and and all the settings are the same, it certainly sounds like an air issue....like a suction leak. Start by redoing you flares. Don't use teflon as one little piece getting into the oil line can really mess things up. Is the connection to the tank in the same place as the old one....both off the bottom or top? With the burner flaming out and going off on safety, it sure sounds like a suction line air leak,
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    it must no be gravity fed

If you are sucking air, it must not be gravity fed. If it is gravity fed, you'd see some leaks. I would change your filter again gaskets and all, pump strainer if you have one, and nozzle. Check flow if gravity fed also. Could be something in the line or valves at the tank restricting flow. Vacuum test will tell you what's going on
This discussion has been closed.