Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

30 Gal. Electric Hot Water Heater for Radiant Floor Heat

Options
Rob9
Rob9 Member Posts: 1
Good morning everyone.  My 57 year old York Shipley Boiler (serving radiant floor & hot water heat) just went.  I live in Southeastern, PA in a 1,700 sq. ft. house.  I've installed a 2.5 ton air source heat pump with a 10kw heat kit. and a 50 gal hwh.  I don't think I'm getting great effiency with the heat pump below 40 degrees.  I knew this ahead of time and I'm okay with it. 

So here's where my question comes in.  Would it be smart to offset this ineffiency with a 30 gallon elec. hwh in replace of the boiler to heat my home through the floors during the winter months?  I would be using the existing controls that served the boiler and modifying them.     

Comments

• Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Options
    No...

An electric hot water heater just has a resistive element in it, just like your heat kit. It will be no more efficient. To boot, it is not made for space heating and some jurisdictions may not allow it to be used for that purpose.

Your heat pump may not be that efficient in cold weather, but it's probably still more efficient than resistive heating (which has a COP of 1.)
This discussion has been closed.