Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vitotrol 300 Control

BobAlu
BobAlu Member Posts: 18
I've been doing some research on the Vitotrol 300 remote control and have come up with two different answers on how it works...one answer that I got is that it adds input to the boiler when it comes to setting the heating curve while another answer that I received told me that the heating curve is programmed into the boiler and that the 300 control will have no influence on it. Anyone care to put in their two cents? I guess the main question would be, does the 300 control have a temperature sensor inside? If it does, then it can give the boiler some info as to what the actual temperature is in the room. If it doesn't have a sensor in it, then it is just assuming that the set temperature is what the room temperature is. Is the 300 control a worthwhile investment to add to a Vitodens boiler or is it just something that will save a few steps so I don't need to go down to the boiler room to make an adjustment? I'm looking for some comments on why you used this control or not. The Wall has got to be the best place for any heating type questions! Thanks for any comments!

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited January 2011
    Yes

The Vitotrol 300 has a built in indoor sensor. It will provide indoor feedback to the boiler which will shift the curve for that heating circuit. Another added benefit is room setpoint temperature. It acts like a thermostat except for one huge difference. Let's say its set to 68 degrees and the wife turns it up to 70. The boiler will react by adjusting its heating curve to provide you the water temp you need based on outdoor temp to get you to 70 degrees. Turn it down and it reacts the opposite way it will lower the heating curve because you no longer need the hotter water.

You also have other features such as, Error Codes, control of domestic hot water, scheduling, vacation mode and the favorite Party Mode. Would suggest you read the attached manuals and consult your installing contractor for more information. You want to make sure this control is installed in a centralized location. It is best used with constant circulation but can be used in zoning applications. If you didn't want all the fancy bells and whistles this control has the Vitotrol 200 will work to provide indoor feedback also although it's just a dial and reads in celcius.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    According to a previous thread...

Yes, the Vitotrol 300 does provide indoor feedback for a single heating circuit. See the first reply by HVHEHCCA, Chris also kindly attached the manuals.
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Whoops...

I see I was a little slow on the trigger. :-)
  • BobAlu
    BobAlu Member Posts: 18
    Thanks!

Thanks for the quick replies! I would be using them with zone valves...I have two zones.
  • CMadatMe
    Centralized

For them to operate properly they really need to be centralized. You may also need a KM-BUS if this is one heating circuit. A heating circuit in the Viessmann world is not a zone it is water temp. The boiler reset would be 1 circuit and a motorized mixing vlave that controlled another water temp would be circuit 2.

Again, please consult your installing contractor as he knows your application and the layout of your home better than any of us.

• veissman_Bob
    veissman_Bob Member Posts: 48
    Vitotrol Question

So please tell me, would these Vitotrol units REPLACE the existing set back thermostats in each of my four hot water baseboard zones, or would they be used IN ADDITION TO the existing thermostats?  About how much do they cost? 

Thanks!
  • CMadatMe
    Yes

They replace the thermostat and you should talk to your contractor concerning cost.

This discussion has been closed.