Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main Steam Vent

Options
How long should this stay on for when every radiator is hot and the individual steam vents on them have shut down? I think this relates to my boiler gauge not moving that much and a potentially clogged pigtail - but right now when the system runs for 30-45 minutes the main vent starts whistling a little and doesn't seem to stop. I think unclogging the pigtail might fix the fact that the pressuretrol might not be shutting off the system. Does that make sense?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    whistling vent

yes, clean the pigtail, and get a good low pressure gauge [gaugestore.com 0-3 psi], so you really know what the pressure is. otherwise, it is like saying to the speed cop,   "i only had my right foot a quarter way pressed down....."!--nbc
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Pigtail / vent

Get the pigtail checked and the pressuretrol working correctly. Should be set to it's lowest setting. Too much pressure can break the vents. It (the vent) should close when steam hits it. If it's whistling you have too much pressure either the pigtail and pressuretrol or not enough venting or both.
This discussion has been closed.