Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostatic rad. valves

Putting in Danfoss RA-2000 rad. valves on cast iron radiators I took the manual valves off and installed the new thermo rad valves. I then noticed that I had installed them on the return side of the radiator. This is only on two of the radiators. There is an arrow for flow on the RA-2000, but am wondering if this will affect the operation of the valve that much?

Thanks

Don in MO

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    In a word..... It depends!

If there is fast flow through the radiator, then yes, you will know when the TRV is close to shut off. It will start knocking as the needle is sucked into the seat of the valve and will sound like a jack hammer or wood pecker.

If the flow rate is not high (as in gravity circulation) , and the pressure drop through the radiators is low (BIG open water ways on everything), it will bypass and probably won't be a problem.

Don't be too hard on yourself. EVERYONE has put at least one in backwards :-)

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Danfoss valves in backwards

Mark is correct...it does make a difference and we have all done it.....my dad had a version of  an old saying" "Happens to the best of them....and we just proved it"

I hope you get to hear the rattle it makes sometime. It's another one of those sounds that you will never forget and will make future troubleshooting so much easier. like the sound of a slipping burner coupling or the tic-tic of condensate dropping on a water heater burner.....sounds that get imbedded in your brain....
  • Restrictor plates in Radiator

Thanks for the info. Talked to the home owner and explained the sitiuation and we are repiping so the TRV's are installed correctly.

So I took apart the union on the other side of the rad. and found a restritor plate. If I remember correctly they where used on gravity systems? Will I have a problem leaving them in the other radiators that don't need re-piped? Will I have a problem taking some out?

Thanks

Don in MO
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Restrictive orifi...

Were typically deployed on the upper floor radiators only. Occasionally you will find them on first floor rad's that were real close to the heat source, but rare. If you've got'em, pull'em.

The TRV's will work to balance out the flows based on demand.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.