Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how to evaluate estimates for new boiler?

Options
A2K
A2K Member Posts: 5
It looks as if our 25+ year old Columbia boiler has sprung a leak and will need to be replaced.  We are having to add water every few hours (there's no auto feed on the system) and we are seeing a lot of steam coming out of the chimney when the boiler is fired up.  There is no visible sign on the boiler that it's leaking--our heating guy pulled it apart to check and saw nothing.  The vents were all replaced 2 years ago and are not letting off lots of steam either. Is there any chance that this is a reparable situation?

If not, I am hoping someone here can help me know how to evaluate estimates for a new single-pipe boiler system.  What are the best mfrs?  How do I know who really understands how to do the installation correctly?  I live just outside of Philadelphia.  Contractor recommendations would be much appreciated.  Our current system is for 472 sq. feet.

Many thanks!  I've learned a lot just from reading around the forum here.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    new boiler

I think the key item when replacing a boiler is to find a knowledgeable steam installer, easier said than done. Where are you located and have you looked under the "Find a contractor" menu heading?

You should request quotes and state the boiler must be installed per the installation manuals piping diagram - using threaded steel pipe above the waterline. The installer should go over your whole system including the radiators so he knows what the connected load is (EDR), thats the only way to be sure of getting the right size boiler.

The real key is finding a qualified installer and making sure the boiler you get installed is well supported in your area. The best boiler on earth will do you little good if you can't gets parts for it.

good luck,

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Meet or exceed

manufacturers specifications is a good clause to have in your contract.  The near boiler piping is a very important consideration.  Sometimes more important than price.  here is a link

http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/107/Steam-Heating/118/Steam-boiler-near-boiler-piping

How to have a boiler replaced (without getting steamed)

http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/236/Homeowners/1490/How-to-have-a-boiler-replaced-without-getting-steamed
  • A2K
    Options
    thanks

Thanks for those links---very helpful.
  • acl10
    acl10 Member Posts: 349
    Options
    return pipes may be leaking

Your return pipes may be leaking especialy the underground ones.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    the best way to choose

a contractor is usually the most obvious...ask for references..pro's don't mind this and we actually appreciate it..i keep four pages of references ready to give and usually just include them in the estimate..also you can call the local building department inspection office and while they really aren't supposed to recommend people, they will usually say something like ''so and so does very nice work''..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    good call!

find out where the water is going before making the final decision!

you may have a different repair to make which would be easier to make during the winter.

how long does it take before the waterline has gone down to the lwco cutoff point?--nbc
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    new boiler estimates

please let us know what the permits and inspections department says, in reply to your query about local steam experts.  we would all like to know!!--nbc
  • A2K
    Options
    water leaKage

I don't think we have an underground pipe, but maybe someone can enlighten me as to where to look to see if we do.  It's a single-pipe system.  It takes only one firing cycle for the water to drop to the low-water cut-off.  Very little water is returning to the boiler.  Since we see steam coming out of the chimney during the firing cycle, we think we may have a leak in the boiler.  So says our heating contractor (although we have not been confident in his assessments up until this one). 
  • A2K
    Options
    calling township permits office

Great suggestion about calling the building inspection dept. Thank you!
  • Carl1979
    Options
    I live just outside Phila. also

I Recently, Needed to repair or replace my system also , the gang on here saved the day for me . told me how to fix my system and it is running great.. heres some things I recently learned that might come in handy for you

1- There is a steam pro who listed in Heating Help .com in Delaware county

2 - Phila. area residents can qualify for a 1% loan on boiler/ Insulation work

Go to http://www.keystonehelp.com/index.php

3-- the steam pro is listed as a qualified contractor for the program

4 -- If you use oil now,, Natural Gas is about 30 % less expensive even after all the

fees Peco adds to it

5 - If you have a gas main in the street in front of your house Peco will bring a line

to your house at no charge .

6 - My best guest for your leak if its not the boiler, Look really, really, hard at your wet

return lines

Good luck Carl
  • Carl1979
    Options
    I live just outside Phila. also

I Recently, Needed to repair or replace my system also , the gang on here saved the day for me . told me how to fix my system and it is running great.. heres some things I recently learned that might come in handy for you

1- There is a steam pro who listed in Heating Help .com in Delaware county

2 - Phila. area residents can qualify for a 1% loan on boiler/ Insulation work

Go to http://www.keystonehelp.com/index.php

3-- the steam pro is listed as a qualified contractor for the program

4 -- If you use oil now,, Natural Gas is about 30 % less expensive even after all the

fees Peco adds to it

5 - If you have a gas main in the street in front of your house Peco will bring a line

to your house at no charge .

6 - My best guest for your leak if its not the boiler, Look really, really, hard at your wet

return lines

Good luck Carl
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    leak testing the boiler

generally, you can test the boiler for leaks yourself.

1turn off, and let the boiler cool an hour or so.

2.overfill the boiler, until the waterline is above the top.

3.wait for another hour for drips to become noticeable. perhaps a leaking buried return might show damp patches on a concrete floor.

4. drain enough at the end to restore the normal waterline.

a bad leak in the return wet could prevent all the condensate from returning. its replacement could perhaps run above the floor.--nbc
  • A2K
    Options
    leak testing the boiler

When you say "overfill" the boiler, do you mean taking the water up above the sight line to the top of the tube?  I'd like to give your process a try, but want to be sure I understand it.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    overfilling

fill the system as high as you can to get a good pressure. if the pop-off relief valve is mounted on the top, then you could remove it to see when water got up to that point. otherwise, maybe there is a drain valve on the boiler with a hose fitting. attach a hose to this point [valve open], and wire the hose discharge end to a pipe nearby, at a height above the boiler. when the waterline rises up high enough to flow out of the hose, you have got enough.

i am surprised that your professional did not make this test, unless the leak was very noticeable.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.