Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anticipator setting

Options
acl10
acl10 Member Posts: 349
Can someone please give me the correct anticipator setting. I have a one pipe steam, two floors 12 radiators, I have a Honywell Chronotherm model T8090a not digital.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Settings:

There are two ways. One, easy, use an "Amp Mate" and clip it between the leads at the thermostat. That gives you the correct amperage to run the thermostat. The other way is to check the amperage of the controls running through the thermostat. Whatever control the thermostat wires run through on the boiler, look in the cover and look for some number like ".05" or ".05 Amps". That is what you set the heat anticipator at. But the Amp Mate will tell you exactly. On some systems, there are a lot of controls that the wiring may go through. For example, if you use Taco wax motor zone valves, the heads use .9 amps. You must set them at .9 or 1.0 amps or the thermostat will cycle improperly.
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
    Chronotherm manual

Here is the manual for the T8090a. They recommend setting the anticipator to 1.2 for hot water systems, so that setting would probably be appropriate for steam also.

What is your current setting?
  • acl10
    Options
    anyone have experiance with a steam system

anyone have experiance with a steam system. What seeting did you use for the Anticipator?
  • acl10
    Options

anyone have experiance with a steam system. What seeting did you use for the Anticipator?
  • acl10
    Options

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Setting

I have a Burnham and the anticpator setting is listed in the installation manual. They recommend .8amps.
  • acl10
    Options
    .10-.60

On the Honywelll the settings are .10 to .60 can anyone explain that and where it should be set.
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
    Setting

What type of boiler do you have? Oil, atmospheric gas? The setting depends on the electrical load presented by the burner controls of your specific boiler.

What is the setting that you have now? In general, for a steam system, you want to be up at the higher end of the setting so the boiler will run long cycles more suitable to steam system operation.
  • mel rowe
    mel rowe Member Posts: 324
    Options
    Setting

Mine is set to .8.  I can tell if it is set too low, as the system cycles off too soon.  The only downside to erring too high on the setting seems to be that the temperature differential between cut-out and cut-in gets to be a little more than desired.  If that is the case, I just reduce the anticipator setting slightly.
  • acl10
    Options
    Gas Boiler

Gas Boiler
This discussion has been closed.