Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circa of Am. Stand. wall unit convector/ loop? SW200 / JV-1

Hi- Hoping someone can tell me the general age / year(s) manufacture of an *American Radiator & Standard Sanitary Corp. "Remoteair" wall unit- model # SW200, JV-1 Series*. Also seeking a possible source for replacement parts and covers?

Not sure if it would be called primarily a convector, or a loop design (cold water during the summer & hot water during the winter). I'd call it a convector-looper-blower design :)

It's attached to copper pipes (might've been switched out from lead) and a powered fan/blower under the convector unit, and a condensation catch pan between the blower and convector. It was obv. installed during original construction, building age might be from 1940's up. In D.C. and it seems to be a popular unit for apt. buildings here.

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    edited December 2010
    That name...

... was used while the two companies merged.  I found this on the American Standard web site:

"History

Before American Standard, there was the

Standard Sanitary Manufacturing Company. It was founded in 1875, and

merged with several other small plumbing manufacturers in 1899 to form

the Standard Sanitary Manufacturing Company. Standard Sanitary pioneered

many of the plumbing product improvements introduced in the early part

of this century including the one-piece toilet, built-in tubs,

combination faucets (which mix hot and cold water to deliver tempered

water) and tarnish-proof, corrosion-proof chrome finishes for brass

fittings. By 1929, Standard had become the world's largest producer of

bathroom fixtures.

That same year, the Standard Sanitary Corporation merged with

American Radiator Company to form the American Radiator and Standard

Sanitary Corporation. The corporation adopted the name "American

Standard" in 1967."

I'd have guessed a smaller window, but this gives you 1929 to 1967.

Yours,  Larry

ps. This site might be useful

http://www.hvacsolutionsdirect.com/products/Replacement-PTAC-Units/Islandaire-Direct-Replacement-PTAC-Units/American-Standard-3/AMERICAN-STANDARD-REMOTAIRE-PTAC-Type-40-SKU1141.html
  • jackjackjack
    jackjackjack Member Posts: 2
    Yup.

Thanks for the fyi Larry- I saw that the merger was in 1929, but didn't know the 1967 date. You're right, and I included the full name to try help. Problem with the apt buildings around here, a bunch of construction came in the mid 40's, and then a bunch more came in the 60's... the whole federal gov't thing.

So these things could be as old as 70+ years, or as new as 35- years (ok, not very new, but). Did a ton of Google searches, no luck.

Oh, it has two small hatches on the top (either side of the top vent). One for a 4-place switch (off to high blower) and the other for stop valves access.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Wall Units:

These were/are popular in commercial type applications. Often known as "Modine" type heaters. The multispeed fan switch let you dial in the output of the unit. American Standard was never a big player in this market. I have never seen one in place that wasn't older than dirt. Modine and one other ( I can't remember the name) were far more popular than Am. Std. Am. Std just couldn't keep up with other forward thinking companies.

I doubt that you could find any parts for them other than motors. Replacement is the only option.
This discussion has been closed.